Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Feb 25, 2010, 09:46 AM
    Pronunciation of Terms
    For a variety of reasons, I'd like to know how to properly pronounce the following terms that are related to the Passover:

Charoset (or kharoset--which spelling is correct?)
    Maror
    Afikomen
    Karpas
    Haggadah

Sincere thanks,

DK
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2010, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kindj View Post
    charoset (or kharoset--which spelling is correct?)
    Hello Dennis:

Where you been?

Sorry I didn't see your question BEFORE passover, but...

In terms of pronunciation the words are ALL written phonetically. The spelling IS based on the pronunciation. All the words you mentioned can be pronounced like they're written - except charoset or kharoset... That's because there is NO English way to write how the Hebrew word is pronounced. It's got to do with the first characters... The ch or kh is pronounced with a softer sound made in the back of your throat instead of a hard k sound you make with the back of your tongue. It's kind of like you're clearing your throat without sounding disgusting... That's the best I can do.

Come argue politics with us. It's still fun.

excon
    ederstreet Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2012, 01:11 PM
    Charoset (or kharoset--which spelling is correct?)... no spelling is correct or really incorrect (just like Chanukah... a million spellings)

Charoset chah-ROW-set ("ch" as in Bach" ... an apple-nut-wine paste
    Maror mah-ROAR ... bitter herbs, like horseradish
    Afikomen A-fi-ko-men ... "A" sound as in apple, "I" as in bit, "o" as in oboe
    ... a Greek word meaning literally, "dessert" but more accurately a piece of the matzah saved for later to be searched for (usually by children) after the meal is completed.

Karpas CAR-pahs (s is hard sound, as in sift) ... usually a green sprig, like parsley

Haggadah hah-GAH-dah ... the book or booklet which leads the participants through the:
    seder (SAY-der), which literally means "order

Keren Bosse

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Celtic Pronunciation [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to pronounce Giomanach? I think its Celtic and means Hunter. Thanks

Pronunciation of bragh [ 2 Answers ]

I would appreciate it if you would settle an argument for me. In the phrase, "Erin go bragh" what is the correct pronunciation of bragh? Does it rhyme with draw? Or with sack? Or something else? Thanks in advance for your help. Ed Bliss

Landlord breaks terms of lease! Terms for early termination or lease? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Myself and my roommates lease an apartment from our landlord. The building we live in is brand new and we are the first tenets to live in the apartment. There are two apartments in the second story. The landlord also has an office/bar/living area in the front of the building, also on the...

Pronunciation [ 7 Answers ]

Why is it that most English speaking people EASILY pronounce the letters "as" in Douglas, Christmas, Nicholas, Lucas, Banderas, Thomas, and all other such names or words with the same ending correctly but seem unable to pronounce the "as" or" "az" in Dias or the "az" in Diaz correctly? Do the same...

View more questions Search