Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beelondon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 05:29 AM
    Internet will not connect
    Ok then, from the top...

My missis opened a "look at this picture of you, it made me laugh" which she had received in her Facebook inbox!! Being fairly new to all this, she clicked it and was immediately logged out of the internet.

We use Google chrome on the home computer and now it simply will not connect to the browser. I tried, on the advice of a mate, restoring the computer a week before the crime was committed... but nothing! I have tried going into the windows explorer but this just pops up with the Microsoft send error message. I am now about to format the whole thing as I just simply do not know where to go from here! If the formatting does not work, then I shall smash the thing into millions of tiny computer pieces...

Please help save a computer from an early death...
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2010, 01:17 PM

What you have there sounds simply like a software error. A format will generally fix those. You may also try, before the format, just uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome. Just out of curiosity, does IE connect or some other browser?

Mar 4, 2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. Nah that's thing, I go to connect on IE and it comes up with the Microsoft error message and I isn't got any other browser!

Basically, can't connect to the internet on that computer at all.

I was going to format the whole thing, but just wondered if there was an alternative.

Thanks again for your answer. Much appreciated.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 10:45 AM
    What's the exact error message?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 10:58 AM
    Is there any other software you have installed or uninstalled recently?

Mar 4, 2010, 01:20 PM

@ need karma: it's the standard Microsoft error message which flashes up and says "tell microsoft about this error" send/dont send when program not responding.

@infojunkie: nah, the last thing I installed was the music program Reason but that was months and months ago and there hasn't been no problem. It's just been since the missis opened a dodgy Facebook message. Literally, she opened it, computer logged out the internet and simply wouldn't let us connect since!

Nightmare!
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Mar 4, 2010, 08:35 PM

Try this (assuming you have high speed internet like cable/dsl)

Start button > run
    Cmd.exe

In the window that opens
    Type:

Ping www.google.com

Does it give responses back or does it time out?

If it gives responses, then you are connected to the net.. but there is an error with IE and chrome (most likely malware or a virus)

If it does not respond - make sure your network card is working
    You need to look in your device manager and make sure that the network card is functioning. If it is.. then again - it's a virus/malware - if not, then uninstall the device & re-install

Now - if you have a virus/malware - the problem is that you need the net to get the software to remove it!
    At this point - your best / safest bet is to backup everything you want to keep (photos, music, etc) and format/re-install windows

There are many virus'/malware programs that install right from the web - be VERY wary of links sent by people like that.

After you re-install - then get a good antivirus app (AVAST is free and good) - also download/install Malwarebytes (Malwarebytes.org) its great at removing crap like this.

Good luck!

Mar 6, 2010, 02:53 AM

Nice one, thanks for the words of wisdom.

Unfortunately none of the above worked so I'm going to have to format and re-install the lot...

Moral of this story: dont let wife near computer

(haha, I'm joking)

Nice one
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2010, 07:33 AM

Try Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN, and be sure Automatically Detect Settings is selected.
    Many Rouge/Scareware sets a Proxy setting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet explorer won't connect to the internet [ 5 Answers ]

Internet explorer won't connect to the internet. I know that the connection is fine as Firefox works. I have cable broadband through a wireless connection. When I try to use Explorer it comes up with Internet explorer annot display the webpage. I have tried to look at other threads but can't seem...

How to connect a PC to the Internet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, Here is the situation. The Pc is far from the DSL modem like 2Km, what are the possible ways to connect this PC to this DSL Modem ? What devices will be needed & how much it would cast? How the data will be transmitted ? Thanks

My PC won't connect to the internet! [ 10 Answers ]

Hey!! Recently my partner has moved in and I have their PC it hs never had the internet on before so I took my ethernet out my laptop and run my blueyonder broadband cd in the PC. And pluged the wires in to the PC when instructed to when it came to connecting it the error message poped up...

Can't connect to Internet [ 4 Answers ]

I am connecting to my wireless internet, but when I try to connect to the internet it says, "cannot find server." When I try to repair my wireless connection, it stops and says it can't be repaired because it cannot renew my ip address to talk to the person that manages my network. I don't know...

Cannot connect to the internet [ 3 Answers ]

When trying to connect to the internet the following error is displayed "dns is unable to resolve ip address".How is this overcome?

View more questions Search