Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    axal01 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 12:52 AM
    If I'm disabled and on SS and have a child will I lose benefits
    Im mentally disabled. My question is, If my ex was pregnant and it was mine, would Social security strip me of every benefit?

Feb 25, 2010, 12:54 AM

Ex girlfriend that is...
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 03:56 AM

What makes you think that they would?

No,once you are disabled,you don't lose it because you are still disabled.. you had sex,they got pregnant,how then would that make you not disabled?

Feb 25, 2010, 04:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    What makes you think that they would?

No,once you are disabled,you don't lose it because you are still disabled..you had sex,they got pregnant,how then would that make you not disabled?
    I do not know... I know that if I get married I would lose all benefits.. its a crappy system they have. Right now my ex might be pregnant and I'm worried to death its mine, I know she's been with other guy... but.. if you think about it, they say if you get married your no longer disabled.. which is stupid... im worried sick to death now.. she said she wouldn't make me pay child support if it were mine and I trust her on that.. but if SS found out, I'm not sure... I receive income because of my dad, and also income from my disability.. I spoke to SS one day and they said if I got married id lose everything, and I asked what if I had a child, they said "Sir it doesnt matter" I don't know what to do if it comes down to it... cause my Dr.and therapist claim I'm disabled for LIFE...

Feb 25, 2010, 04:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by axal01 View Post
    I do not know.... I know that if i get married i would lose all benefits..its a crappy system they have. right now my ex might be pregnant and im worried to death its mine, i know shes been with other guy... but.. if u think about it, they say if you get married your no longer disabled.. which is stupid...im worried sick to death now.. she said she wouldnt make me pay child support if it were mine and i trust her on that.. but if SS found out, im not sure... I recieve income because of my dad, and also income from my disability.. I spoke to SS one day and they said if i got married id lose everything, and i asked what if i had a child, they said "Sir it doesnt matter" i dont know what to do if it comes down to it... cause my Dr.and therapist claim im disabled for LIFE.....

And if that were the case that I would lose it all.. I would die, because of the medication I'm on... Its impossible to quit the meds I'm on.. and if I had no SSI income, hwo would I be able to get my meds... my medicine all together cost around 1300, and if I lost everything, I don't know what I would do... most likely I would die if I couldn't afford those meds.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 04:36 AM

You are on ssi,not ssd?

Supplemental Security Income

Benefits for People with Disabilities

Feb 25, 2010, 05:14 AM
    Medicade,Medicare,and the income
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 05:32 AM

I am not a lawyer,perhaps a call to one would aid you in this?

It seems that if you marry into someone with an income,you would lose your benefits(from what I gather),perhaps if you don't get married there is a way through this?, I really don't know, I guess I just wanted to clear up some details before others came in to assist further.

Feb 25, 2010, 10:02 PM
    I am not a lawyer,perhaps a call to one would aid you in this?

it seems that if you marry into someone with an income,you would lose your benefits(from what I gather),perhaps if you don't get married there is a way through this?,,I really don't know,,I guess I just wanted to clear up some details before others came in to assist further.

Well I spoke to local SS office and the woman was quite rude but she said If I were to get married, they would strip every benefit and say I'm no longer disabled.. I don't understand..
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2010, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by axal01 View Post
    Well i spoke to local SS office and the woman was quite rude but she said If i were to get married, they would strip every benefit and say im no longer disabled.. i dont understand..
    And contacting them without getting enough explanation didn't help you,perhaps asking for the supervisor to explain things,or an in office visit?

Otherwise,the contacting of an outside advocate, lawyer, would be in your best interest.

But,start with the higher-ups at SS first.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 03:15 PM

If you are disabled and receive Social Security Disability benefits you would NOT lose any benefits if you got married. I have no idea what the folks at SS are talking about if you DO receive your own disability benefits from the US Government.

Also, if the child IS yours, then you could apply for a disability check under your disability for the child. This would be the same as child support on your end. But before you do that be sure via DNA testing that the child really IS yours!

I think you need to go down in person to Social Security and speak to them in person. Something does not sound right here for you to lose any benefits at all if you got married. I know of many people who are disabled and receiving disability payments each month that are married.

You must be receiving Supplemental Security Income and not Disability income for them to answer the way they did.

Feb 28, 2010, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    If you are disabled and receive Social Security Disability benefits you would NOT lose any benefits if you got married. I have no idea what the folks at SS are talking about if you DO receive your own disability benefits from the US Government.

Also, if the child IS yours, then you could apply for a disability check under your disability for the child. This would be the same as child support on your end. But before you go ahead and do that be sure via DNA testing that the child really IS yours!!

I think you need to go down in person to Social Security and speak to them in person. Something does not sound right here for you to lose any benefits at all if you got married. I know of many people who are disabled and receiving disability payments each month that are married.

You must be receiving Supplemental Security Income and not Disability income for them to answer the way they did.
    I know I receive money where my dad was disabled.. but now I'm disabled,mentally.. I don't know if its supplemental or not.. I don't know but what I do know is, if it happens that my ex has a kid.. their probably going to destroy my life... I need those Medications.. without them ill be better off in a mental institute

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do children receive SSI benefits for a disabled parent? [ 29 Answers ]

Do children that have a disabled parent that receives SSI benefits only receive a check themselves if they are under 18 years old? I have heard that if the parent was under a certain poverty level that the children would receive a check also. Is there any truth to this?

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

Salaried Employee threatened to lose benefits if she doesn't do more? [ 3 Answers ]

My sister in law is an RN with a Home Health agency in rural South Dakota for almost 13 years now. Right away, she was put on salary because she worked a lot of overtime. She's worked this way for 10+ years, and has never taken sick leave but two times, is always the first one on the road and the...

Benefits for surviving disabled divorced spouse? [ 5 Answers ]

My ex spouse committed suicide 1 year ago. He was in law enforcement We were married 11 years and divorced in 1997 so we have been divorced for 11 years when he died. While married, I was permanently injured in a mva and have been on and receiving social security disability since 1992, He was 49...

View more questions Search