Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmohn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Being sued over old debt
    I just received a lawsuite against me from a credit card company, from debt incurred a few years ago. I'd like to know if:
    I should go through paying an attorney and the whole process, or, should I wait and see what happens?
    Would it be wise for me to send a lump sum to the attorney and see if they will stop the proceedings?
    I don't have money for an attorney, but want to know my options to take care of this matter.
    Thank you to anyone who might have some answers...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2006, 04:14 PM
    You need to talk with them and get some payment arrangements made ( in writing before you send any money)

If they sue you and get a judgement, they can attach your bank accounts and garnish your wages, so you do want to work a deal out.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2006, 04:49 PM
    Ask them to veritfy the debt to make should it s yours. If you were serve court paper you must file response or the attorney will get summary judgment against you. Read the documents again and file your response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued over credit card debt [ 12 Answers ]

I was recently served over some old credit card debt (about 10K). I am looking for advice on how to best handle this... we are back on our feet again but it kills me to pay for all the excessive penalties and fees. I've also heard that even if I strike a deal with the company, it can come back...

Sued Credit Card Debt [ 11 Answers ]

Hey I received I guess you would call it a credit card judgement for a debt I owe of $1700. Plus $ 750.00 Attorney fee for them , I guess... I have a 4 yr old, 5 month old, pregnant again with #3, and unemployed. Just recently got laid off from my previous job of 8 yrs. My husband is the only...

Being sued over an old credit card debt. [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings, I recently was served with papers via a Sherrif's deputy around 2 months ago. I answered the supeona and followed all of the proper channels notifying the bottom feeder collection attorney that bought the debt that the debt was incorrect, not mine, and that the statue of limitations had...

Wife being sued for credit card debt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am not from the US and my mother in law told me that the sheriff put a subpoena on her door (for my wife) even though we don't live there anymore. My mother in law says that it has to be delivered in person to the right person, is this true? I wouldn't know. Apparently it is for a...

I'm being sued,what will they get? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Pa. I am being sued for rear ending someone and will most likely have a judgement put against me. This insurance was in my husbands name. Can his car be taken if we are no longer living together but still legally married.my wages cannot be garnished because they are so low. Can his...

View more questions Search