Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rckymtnrider Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
    My mother was born in germany do I qualify for a german passport
    My mother was born in what was East Germany, she came to Canada at the age of ten as a refugee, she is now a Canadian Citizen and was when I was born in Calgary, AB Canada in 1974. Both my grandparents were also German but became Canadian. Do I qualify for a german passport, or a dual citizenship.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 24, 2010, 09:09 PM

First, I do not see a reason for you to qualify for dual citizenship.

Unless your mother was part of a diplomatic mission or some form of German ambassador to Canada, then you would have the citizenship of the country you were born in.

That said, if you wanted to become a German Citizen, then contact the German Consulate in Canada and see what you have to do to renounce your citizenship.

Dual citizenship expires when you turn 18, I believe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother German- do I qualify for German passport? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother who is now deceased was born in Germany. She obtained American citizenship. Is there any chance that I can obtain a German passport?

Polish citizen mother of british citizen can I qualify for british passport [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Polish citizen and have been in Britain for several years. My sons father is British and we live as partners. My son has a British birth certificate. Can I apply for a British passport

US Citizen born in Germany--Can she get German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Just a quick question about obtaining a German passport: My wife was born in Nuremberg, Germany. Her father was in the U.S. Army and stationed there at the time. She only has a USA passport. Is it possible for her to get a German passport, since she was born there? Thanks in...

View more questions Search