Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BKOB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 06:32 PM
    What event moved the cold war into a race for space?
    Space race
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 24, 2010, 06:38 PM

Sputnik.
    leif_erikson Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Apr 17, 2010, 05:03 PM

I'll agree with califdadof3. The Americans obtained missile technology (developed by the Germans) after occupying Germany following WWII. Nuclear warheads can be fitted to these missiles for long range attacks. (although not as long-range as modern ICBMs) After Sputnik was launched, the Americans feared that the Russians would be able to deploy nukes directly from space. Therefore, the Space Race began. I'm not expert on history so I may be wrong but this is just my analysis.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Apr 18, 2010, 06:05 PM

Pretty much everybody got a German expert or two - not just America. Most likely there was a quite technology race going on for some time, but since the American public had no real clue about Russian capability, Sputnik was the first firm evidence of Russian progress.

The space race was not just a military race but a propaganda race of Russia versus USA and Communist versus Capitalism.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend moved out and needs space but says she still loves me and is hopeful [ 84 Answers ]

Hello, I have never had to seek out advice on a message board but I don’t know what else to do. My girlfriend of 3 years just moved out 2 weeks ago to go “work on her issues” and “find herself.” We moved rather fast into the relationship and moved in together after just a few months of dating. We...

The Cold War [ 1 Answers ]

How did the Cold War affect smaller countries that were not directly involved in it?

Cold War [ 4 Answers ]

What do you think about Cold War? What happened to you during cold war? What is your advice to the young generation? Thank you for answering it.

Cold War Kids [ 2 Answers ]

just an amazing band, don't get much more authentic and talented than these guys. YouTube - #35.1 - Cold War Kids - God Make up your Mind YouTube - #35.1 - Cold War Kids - St John hehe, you wouldn't see MCR or anything like that just walk onto a random bus for a little free show :) ...

She wanted space now she's moved out.we where so happy [ 7 Answers ]

Been together for 5 years.. complete commitment, studied together for these 5 years also.. been on many overseas trips spent a year abroad doing a postgrad together etc.. lots of beautiful memories and very little fighting going on.. came back around christmas from overseas and opened up with the...

View more questions Search