Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raynisha Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 05:47 PM
    there are 18 girl and 12 boys on student council. If two student council member are s
    there are 18 girl and 12 boys on student council. If two student council member are selected at random, what is the probability that the first member is a boy and the second member is a boy?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 02:34 AM

The probability for the first member is a boy is the number of boys divided by the total number of students.

Now that you got that, there is one boy less and the total number of students are reduced by one.

To get the probability that the second member is a boy, divide the number of boys left by the number of students left.

Post your answers :)
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Feb 25, 2010, 02:29 PM

first put your ration into lowest terms example 18:12= 3:2 go from there
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starfirefly View Post
    first put your ration into lowest terms example 18:12= 3:2 go from there
    No, I'm sorry to disagree, but it's not like that.

The probability to have the first boy chosen is 12/30.

The probability of having the second boy chosen is 11/29 (since there is one boy less and one student from the total less)

Now, for both situations to occur together, you multiply the two probabilities, giving 66/435
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 06:42 AM

Another way to look at it is with combos.

Which agrees with Unknown, but reduced to simplest terms.
    Cricket2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2010, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    No, I'm sorry to disagree, but it's not like that.

The probability to have the first boy chosen is 12/30.

The probability of having the second boy chosen is 11/29 (since there is one boy less and one student from the total less)

Now, for both situations to occur together, you multiply the two probabilities, giving 66/435

Yup, this makes sense
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 12:24 AM
    Never mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Nikkha in council [ 1 Answers ]

Assalam-o-Alaikum I am muslim and I am writing you from london. I have got married with a converted muslim in council (paper marriage) in front of 6 -7 people. Now when I wanted to do NIKHA so I contact some imams but I became so disappointed when they told me you are already husband and wife...

Church council [ 6 Answers ]

Hi - I have been advised that since minors cannot be held legally responsible, they should not serve on a council where financial decisions need to be made - I live in New York - is this true? And if so what is the minimum age for election to a church council? Thanks, Howard

Probability of a President of Student Council [ 1 Answers ]

Student Council Girls- 30 Boys- 20 8th graders- 25 7th graders- 15 6th graders- 10 The table shows the members of the student council. Suppose a student is randomly selected as the president. Write as a fraction in simplest form.

UN security council [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know why the UN security council should not maintain Their veto power? I seriously need to know please and thank you!:eek:

View more questions Search