Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sajjw Posts: 117, Reputation: 9

Feb 24, 2010, 09:01 AM
    Russian people's attitude towards pet dogs
    I hope I am posting this in the correct category.

I have some puppies for sale and have been contacted by a Russian man. He has a wife and daughter, a house with a garden and he says he likes walking and the dog will live in the house. The wife is home during the day to care for a pup. They have never had a dog before. He has read through my 3 page puppy sales contract which covers all aspects of looking after a dog.

My question is, does anyone know how Russian people are about dogs? Are they like the British in that they treat them as part of the family and love them like they would a child? I know one shouldn't generalise as all people are different but would appreciate some opinions nevertheless.

Many thanks.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 24, 2010, 09:06 AM
    Are you thinking of exporting these dogs to Russia, or does he live in England

To my mind, I hear SCAM alarm bells ringing, so be careful.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 09:09 AM

I don't think you can generalize - I'm sure some Russians are kind and caring to their pets and others are not. I don't know that there's a rule of thumb here.

Like Curly Ben I am uncertain where the puppies will be going -
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 09:11 AM

Not all Russians are the same. Just like people from any other country they can love dogs or just keep the animal. If you are that concerned about just who you are selling your puppies to you could decline selling to this person. If they are there in England chances are they do have enough money to properly care for and properly feed the animal. Not all Brits have money to properly care for and feed their dogs either so just generalizing about a person's nationality is not a good way to judge a new puppy owner.

I had a litter of German Shephard puppies years ago. I saw how the person was around the puppies and how their children interacted with the puppy. I did call the new owners up after a month and spoke to them and found that every new owner found their puppy to be the smartest puppy they've ever seen and would not part with them ever.

You need to become a better judge of people and leave nationality out of it altogether.

Feb 24, 2010, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Are you thinking of exporting these dogs to Russia, or does he live in England

To my mind, I hear SCAM alarm bells ringing, so be careful.

No I have checked with him and he has assured me he will be staying in this country permanently. The pups have a restriction on their KC registration anyway which says they are not eligible for passports
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 09:50 AM

So your question is how people of Russian heritage treat their pets?

Feb 24, 2010, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    If they are there in England chances are they do have enough money to properly care for and properly feed the animal.

You need to become a better judge of people and leave nationality out of it altogether.

I have Google Earth'd their post code and they have a big house and garden and I believe he has his own business as his e-mail address in Google brings up "pay £x to credit check this company". I know these things do not prove they can afford to keep a dog but short of asking for bank statements there is nothing I can do to prove anyone who buys a pup can.

I have not met this guy in person as yet, he is bringing his family this Sunday so I will be watching them and how they react to the pups as you say. Its well over an hours journey each way for them so I don't want to waste their time if I feel they are not suitable. One of the things that puts me off is that the wife speaks no English but apparently the 12 year old daughter does and the husband has fairly good English so its not a massive issue. I think I'm just being a worrier but I felt it worth an ask on here just for the feedback.

Feb 24, 2010, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    So your question is how people of Russian heritage treat their pets?
    Well yes Judy it is really. I'm terribly ignorant about other nationalities and one does hear "such and such a nationality only have dogs for working purposes, they don't understand about pets". A friend of mine has an Iranian husband and when they first met he could not believe that she let the dog indoors, on the sofa and even talked to the dog like she was a little person. He was amazed.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2010, 11:04 AM

You can't judge all iranian people based on that one incident. I have a close friend who is iranian and she is crazy about all of her pets. I think she might like her pets more than her friends some days... you really need to leave race out of it.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sajjw View Post
    Well yes Judy it is really. I'm terribly ignorant about other nationalities and one does hear "such and such a nationality only have dogs for working purposes, they don't understand about pets". A friend of mine has an Iranian husband and when they first met he could not believe that she let the dog indoors, on the sofa and even talked to the dog like she was a little person. He was amazed.

I think generalizing in this manner is a very bad idea - I am America. I have American friends who are jerks and American friends who are not. I have friends who working dogs and friends with (simply) pets. I have friends with indoor dogs and friends with outdoor dogs.

If you use the word "American" instead of "Iranian" (or black or white) in your post it would be just as offensive.

Feb 24, 2010, 02:27 PM

Yes I do see both your points Justcurious and Judy. I suppose all generalisation about people could be taken as offensive by some people. For example, one could say "teenagers tend to be lazy and lie in bed a lot", there is bound to be someone who replies " my Son/Daughter is a teenager and he/she is not this way, how offensive!", or one could say "women tend to be more sensitive then men" and someone would reply "That's outrageous! My husband is very sensitive!". These are probably bad examples but I'm sure you get my point. In conclusion, generalising is generally unwise.

Going back to the original topic, I asked this in the hope that someone may know a Russian family that worship their dogs so I could be re-assured. I think I found the chap a bit cold on the phone which is perhaps what actually sparked my concern as generally (!) dog people are so friendly. Thank you for your input everyone.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 24, 2010, 02:37 PM
    I take offense to this as my husband is Russian. Sweeping generalizations will only get you in trouble. I was just waiting for the "do russians eat dogs" to come up.

Yes, we have dogs, 4 to be exact. 3 rescue dogs and one papered dog. They are treated as well as our children. Heck, sometimes I think my husband loves the dogs more than me (I'm kidding here). They are 4 BIG dogs and all live indoors and are treated with the best care.

As Judy pointed out, nationality does not matter. I have a brother-in-law who has a masters degree in animal husbandry and agriculture. You would think he treats his animals like gold, but it's not the case. He actually abuses his animals, In my opinion. No, he's not Russian.

Again, making generalizations such as this will only gain you enemies.

Feb 24, 2010, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I take offense to this as my husband is Russian. Sweeping generalizations will only get you in trouble. I was just waiting for the "do russians eat dogs" to come up.

Yes, we have dogs, 4 to be exact. 3 rescue dogs and one papered dog. They are treated as well as our children. Heck, sometimes I think my husband loves the dogs more than me (I'm kidding here). They are 4 BIG dogs and all live indoors and are treated with the best care.

As Judy pointed out, nationality does not matter. I have a brother-in-law who has a masters degree in animal husbandry and agriculture. You would think he treats his animals like gold, but it's not the case. He actually abuses his animals, IMHO. No, he's not Russian.

Again, making generalizations such as this will only gain you enemies.

I'm sorry that you took offense but don't understand. I have nothing against any nationality and it's not like I said "I've heard that Russians all hate dogs". All I wanted to know was how dogs are generally viewed in Russia as I know that different nationalities sometimes have different attitudes to things. I believe its called cultural differences. My Son's girlfriend grew up in Thailand and she says dogs are usually kept outside over there. She may be wrong, I don't know. If a Russian person asked me how are the English about such and such, I don't think I would find this offensive, he is just enquiring not implying anything. Anyway, I do apologise if I came across as critical, it was not intentional at all. I just want to make sure I place my puppies in really loving homes and I'm anxious in case I miss something I shouldn't have when interviewing people.

I'm so glad you have replied though and that your Russian husband loves your dogs. I feel very re-assured. Thank you for your input.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 04:00 PM

Although tempted to give a reddie I'm holding back for once.

I am amazed that you don't even know you're being offensive. If this read something about "Brits" you'd be up in arms. First you generalize about Russians, it's explained to you how you can't lump everyone into the same category and you come back with "I'm so glad you have replied though and that your Russian husband loves your dogs. I feel very re-assured." You realize that statement is also a generalization, right?

I was as "kind" to you as I could be and you still don't get it?

I realize I am not the only person you have unintentionally insulted - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/mental...ml#post2183407

Very insensitive indeed.
    Expert

Feb 24, 2010, 04:09 PM
    I'm so glad you have replied though and that your Russian husband loves your dogs. I feel very re-assured. Thank you for your input.
    I agree Judy that this is offensive. I would not refer to the OPs wife as his black wife I would be called racist when that's the furthest from the truth.

I don't call him my Russian husband, he is simply my husband who has a Russian heritage.

Feb 24, 2010, 04:37 PM
    Yet again, JudyKayTee is being nasty and name calling, what a surprise. You people are totally nuts!! I said Russian husband but could just have easily have said "husband who is Russian" which means the same thing. Its only offensive if there was anything wrong with being Russian. 'Russian' is not an insult!! I wouldn't give a stuff if someone described me as my husband's British wife. Why on earth would I?? You must be so bored to have to sit on this web site twisting things round that people say so you can get at them and as for your stupid 'reddie' Judy I couldn't care less. Its just a red blob on a web site which often seems to be there for people like you to try to feel good about themselves by putting others down. Get some self esteem.

Feb 24, 2010, 04:40 PM

Oh and by the way I will be blocking your stupid web site so I won't even know if you reply to this so have fun slating me. I know for a fact (private messages) that a few people will be applauding my words.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 04:45 PM

What breed of dogs are you selling? This could help me formulate my answer.

Also, it does not matter that the wife does not speak English. Most dogs only understand the owner's intent regardless of what language it's in. Who knows? Maybe the puppy will learn both English and Russian.

Also, I was just wondering about your supposed Russian buyer. England has not been very high on the list of places Russians want to live. So I am wondering if they are Russian or maybe say Ukrainian instead? Also, how could they live in England permanently if they are not British Citizens? That's a real head scratcher for me.

Also your comment about the dogs not having "passports" had me rolling on the floor with laughter. Dogs don't need passports. And, if you haven't thought of this, the paperwork that goes along with a dog leaving the country has nothing to do with the KC paperwork either. Papers for dogs can and are forged and/or simply made up out of thin air to get the dog out of the country and into another country.

How much are you selling the puppies for as well? Am most curious on the dog breed and the selling price.
    Expert

Feb 24, 2010, 04:48 PM
    Oh and btw I will be blocking your stupid web site so I won't even know if you reply to this so have fun slating me. I know for a fact (private messages) that a few people will be applauding my words.
    I am sorry you feel that way, but I was offended by your remarks. You generalized the Russian nationality and since I have family ties in that area, I was offended. I have the right to defend myself and my husband, just as you would were your significant other defamed.

Russians; Polish; Irish; Americans; and British, just to name a few, are nothing more than people. We, as adults, all have 206 bones in our bodies, our heart is on the left side of our bodies, etc. Doesn't matter where you come from as to how you treat dogs, it's how you were raised.

As I stated, I have a BIL who is brilliant with animals, his heritage is Scottish, he is on the cusp of animal cruelty with his pets.

All we are saying is that making sweeping generalizations as you did is dangerous and offensive to some. If I were in your shoes, I would be apologizing for offending.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 24, 2010, 05:12 PM
    Oh and btw I will be blocking your stupid web site so I won't even know if you reply to this so have fun slating me. I know for a fact (private messages) that a few people will be applauding my words.
    Please don't block us or leave angry. You would be very surprised to know how much educating you have already done here. I don't know why some people took offense at your question. I would have asked the same thing as you if I had puppies to sell, and someone from a certain culture that I am unfamiliar with was interested. (I've seen shows on Animal Planet where dogs and cats are skinned and boiled alive for stew.) Googling would get you an answer, but here we offer the human response, pro and con. Your question is totally legit, and I thank you for being so caring about where you place your pups.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet Deposit or Pet Fee in Rental Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a maximum amount to charge for a pet when renting an apartment in the state of Georgia? Should the pet fee be refundable or non-refundable?

Introducing new pet kitten to old pet bull dog [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know if there's a proper procedure for introducing a 10-week old kitten to a 5-year old, 80 pound, English bulldog? The bulldog's been a little snappy around puppies. Not sure how he'll react to a new kitten in the house.

Loss of a Pet causing distress on another pet [ 1 Answers ]

Our 4 year old cocker spaniel has experienced the loss of her best friend, our 14 year old Dalmatian. She is exhibiting behaviors that we are not sure how to deal with. She refuses to go onto a tile floor such as the ones in the bathroom or kitchens, and is peeing and pooping in the house quite...

A People's War [ 1 Answers ]

How Were The Chicanos And Japanese Americans Treated During World War Ii? How Did The Media Treat Both Groups?

Other People's Kids [ 7 Answers ]

My close friend "Mary" was injured just before a large group camping trip. We were planning to share in all the meals, and share a site (separate tents and taking turns providing meals for the group). She was not sure if she should come because of the lifting involved, and I said, "My son and I...

View more questions Search