Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scotty13 Posts: 120, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 08:35 AM
    Death Certificate - Cause of Death Recorded Incorrectly
    Is it common practice to write down on the death certificates the wrong reason for cause of death?

And if so, why do doctors do that?

This happen to my dad a few weeks ago and I'm just trying to understand.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 04:26 AM

Can you explain a little more, Scott. What do you mean they wrote down the incorrect cause of death. Was it from an accident or natural causes?

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 04:36 AM

No, this is a government document, and doctors do not put down a different cause.

If they got confused and put down something wrong you can merely go to the cornor office and see about having them investigate and correct it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 05:49 AM
    Scott, how did your dad die and what was put on the death certificate?
    Scotty13 Posts: 120, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 07:19 AM

It reads… cause of death - Medullary failure. Was told by a diff. doctor that is kidney failure. Yes, he had organ failure because he died in hospice and he was in a coma.

My dad was 78, and had a list of medical problems, but he DID NOT have any cancer or kidney problems. On Dec 16, 2009 he had heartache, than a stroke which caused a huge hemorrhage to the brain. Long story short, he was hospitalized for three weeks and than the last 4 days of his life he spent in a coma in a hospice facility.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 12:11 PM

Medullary failure is cystic kidney disease, doctor was correct, and it is hereditary. Meaning with your dad it was genetic so someone else in his family had this problem s well.

Scotty, once the body starts to break down from a heart attack (I am assuming you mean that), and a stroke on top of that, other organs start to deteriorate. I think it was a matter of one or the other. I don't think they can put multiple reasons on the death certificate. I am sorry that you are upset with this, but I am sure they didn't mean anything by it.

Kidney or renal failure usually means diabetes, when cysts are involved, then that is the end of that organ, and nothing can be don to recuperate it.

Ms tick
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 12:56 PM

Scotty, I have something else to add. I have been thinking. Possibly your dad had renal failure (from kidney disease) first and that prompted other body organs to close down on him. With end stage kidney disease, the kidneys can't perform the function of filtering blood any longer and septisism sets in, meaning that contaminated blood is recirculating throughout the body. This could have caused his heart attack, etc. and that is why medullary failure was put on the death certificate.

If you aren't happy with that, then you will have to take it up with the coroners office.

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 06:51 PM

And it may be an issue of what each doctor considered to be the final cause. Often in hospice there may be a dozen causes or problems, Since they do normally do anything to determine cause, it is just the guess of the doctor who signs the death certificate based on his medical hisstory
    GGertie Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Nov 6, 2010, 05:36 PM
    Scotty, I am sorry for your loss. It is always difficult to lose a parent and even more so when something like this that you don't understand happens.

Tick and Chuck are both correct. A heart attack followed by stroke drastically hurts the body organs. When he went into the coma, his body was beginning to shut down - meaning that the organs just gradually stop working until the heart stops beating and the lungs stop functioning and death occurs. There were obviously many different things going on that could be "the cause of death," and Medullary Failure was just one of them.

Please try not to fret over this. If it would make you feel better, you could always talk with his physician and ask him to explain what caused your father's death.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth/Death Certificate [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have the following information about my Greatgrandfather from the 1901 census but would like to know when he died. Name: George J Lee Born: about 1827 St. James London Civil Parish: Hackney...

How to get a death certificate from another state? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know How to get a death certificate of someone, when you don't live in the same state? Thank you

Gift Certificate of Death [ 97 Answers ]

Has everyone veiwed the insane idea brought to attention Dec 2 for holiday gift certificate? The New York Times reported that 35 parent planning station across the Unitied States have offered the gift of death as a Christmas gift. As quoted in the news: Here's an original holiday gift...

Need a death certificate copy [ 1 Answers ]

I need a copy of a death certificate, where do I go to get a copy of it? Would that be the courthouse/ emoore

Death certificate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am doing a biographical search on a subject, minor nobility, who died in South of France, 1878 and would like to obtain death certificate, also find burial place. She is buried in Nimes, Arles, maybe Nice. Can anyone direct me how to get records in France, and a listing...

View more questions Search