Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hopeucanhelp123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 07:16 PM
    Can my medical insurance sue my family's homeowner's ins co without my consent?
    I fell a few months back and have been receiving medical care, of which my medical insurance has been covering my bills. The fall happened at a family member's house, however I have no intent of sueing their homeowner's insurance for claims as it was my fault I fell and feel it is my medical insurance's responsibility to cover me. They are now asking me where and how the fell occurred. I am concerned that they will approach my family for payment as the fall occurred there. Can my medical insurance co sue my family's homeowner's ins co without my consent??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2010, 07:26 PM

Yes, they can attempt to get the money back from any other person or sourse that would be legally responsible.

And you have actuallly agreed to let them at some point when you signed applications, or claim forms or more.

It is not as much them suing as them making a claim with their home owners insurance to be paid back funds that the other insurance company should have paid.

Seldom does it happen unless they saw something on a medical report that made them believe they were not the responsible insurance company.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 06:22 AM
    In short, no. There is no reason to believe that they would sue your homeowner's insurance company.

Of course, though, we live in a country where anyone can sue anyone else for any reason, but I do believe that either a) they won't sue the homeowner's insurance company or, b) if they did, it would be thrown out.
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Jul 14, 2010, 12:10 PM

It would help to know where you live. But what you received from the insurance company does not mean they are going to sue. There are no insurance agreements that I know of that allow the insurer to pursue a liable party absent that pursuit by the actual injured party.

The reason the insurance company sends you that form is because in some states (usually not in NY) they have the right to reimbursement if you start a lawsuit and recover for those injuries. But since you aren't suing, the issue is moot.

There is a possibility that the homeowner's policy has a med pay provision, and perhaps that would be primary, but it isn't anything to worry about.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 12:09 PM

There is nothing to say that I can find that your insurance company isn't going to claim against someone else's HO's policy.

I do these investigations occasionally but don't know what happens to them - someone is hurt on property, the medical insurance claims against the HO's.

Injured party does not sue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A neighbor who is a nurse with no medical relation to me viewed my records, can I sue [ 2 Answers ]

I was in the hospital for a month and a neighbor who has nomedical reason to view my recorde did so without authorization. Can I sue

Is it legal to get life insurance on your ex husband without his consent [ 10 Answers ]

Divorced 13 years. Ex got insurance after 13 years without his consent.

Not at fault, but no insurance, can I sue [ 7 Answers ]

I was in an accident in Ca. I was stopped at a 4 way stop, as it was my turn to go the person to my right did not stop and ran into me, the stop sign was down so he claims he didn't see it. Either way, I didn't have insurance, he had no insurance and a suspended licence, my car was totaled. I am...

Foreclosure - Forced Homeowner's Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

I recently tried to provide advice to a lady whose home will be sold at Trustee Sale on August 24, 2007. She is down about 8 months, and the lender placed their own insurance on the property to protect their interest. She has no escrow account and allowed her policy to lapse about 4 months ago. Her...

Can I sue my insurance broker that the one who insured m why car? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I hope I can see the light here for my problem about the car insurance premium agent. I insured my car . Broker and he asked me about deposit cost $300.00 before they insured my car. I take it and the premium every months cost $131.00 and after three days I found a much...

View more questions Search