Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpaniagua Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Can a creditor freeze a bank account in Texas
    I defaulted on some credit cards after me and my husband separated and now have a collection agency threating to place a judgement on me and then take money out of my bank account which only ever has enough in it to pay bill and support my three kid. Can they do this? I have no way to pay them the money at this time and after they refused my $50.00 a month payments I just don't have any way to pay them without having my kids go with out food.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Feb 23, 2010, 04:59 PM

A collection agencey can not freeze your account only a court order by a judgement,but before that happens you will be served with a court date
    How old are these debts? You will have to check the laws in your state
    Some states allow wage garnishments and some don't,as far as freezing your account they proably can after they get a judgement
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2010, 05:43 PM

Texas does not allow garnishment of wages, but it does allow attaching bank accounts.

As DownUnder said, they can't do this without taking you to court. Check out the Bakruptcy & Debt, Credit and Small Claims forums for tons of similar threads from people being hounded by creditors. You will find advice to deal with this situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Attachment by creditor [ 5 Answers ]

If I have a debt I am unable to pay can the creditor attach a corporation account connected to me by my social security number? The corporation has a different name than mine and has no debt. Thank you. Clint

CAN Creditor freeze/Levy bank account that is not Mine? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a POA/Agent on a bank account. I am NOT the account holder, and I am just an agent to execute transactions on the bank account. The Bank account actually belongs to my mother (not my wife) Can IRS or a Creditor who has obtained a judgement on me Levy this account even I am not an account...

Bank account held by creditor [ 2 Answers ]

I found my bank account with a zero balance, Friday night, $1600 was missing. I called the bank and they said there was a judgement against me and my account was attached. I went to the bank the next morning and all they gave me was a phone number of a law firm they would not give me any...

Can they freeze my bank account [ 2 Answers ]

One more question if I was to get A judgement. Can they freeze my bank account There nothing in it. The only money that's coms is my s.s disabilty every month?? :confused: :confused: :

View more questions Search