Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oregon Hart Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 10:49 PM
    Briggs and stratton won't stay running until hot
    I have a 5HP B & S engine on a log splitter. Until this year it has run perfectly for 15 years. This year it won't stay running until it gets hot. It starts very easily but runs less than a minute (maybe as much as fuel in the carb from the pull start ?) I restart it 2-3 times before it will continue running on it's own. I've changed the spark plug & oil, checked the exhaust for blockage and run 3 tanks of fuel through the system since this started. There is no in-line fuel filter, just an in-tank material that looks like a full sponge. It doesn't look like the fuel tank can be easily removed and that filter replaced. Any suggestions? I can keep running it the way it is since eventually it does work but I also don't want to damage it. I'd just as soon determine what has changed and correct it. THANKS !
    Jch
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Feb 21, 2010, 11:10 PM

Hi,
    Eemove the muffler to gain access to the diaphragm. That cover with the four screws covers it. Spring in first, then cup and then diaphragm.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Feb 22, 2010, 12:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Eemove the muffler to gain access to the diaphragm. That cover with the four screws covers it. Spring in first, then cup and then diaphragm.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thanks Clarke but why am I doing this? What am I looking for? Am I replacing the diaphragm?
    Jch

Feb 22, 2010, 06:01 AM

Hi,
    Yes, that would be the common part to wear out on an engines you age. Two part #s exist that are 270026 and 272538S. The placement of the four screw holes is different, and I think the latter number can be used for either.
    The pump material fatigues with age. It could wear, stiffen (most common) or the flapper valves stop sealing.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Feb 22, 2010, 12:35 PM
    Hi,
    Yes, that would be the common part to wear out on an engines you age. Two part #s exist that are 270026 and 272538S. The placement of the four screw holes is different, and I think the latter number can be used for either.
    The pump material fatigues with age. It could wear, stiffen (most common) or the flapper valves stop sealing.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Hmmmm OK. Despite HIS goodness, GOD didn't make all of us bright. Let me see if I understand what you are telling me. I'm removing the muffler ONLY to access the part of the carb with 4 screws. Right ? In my case it looks like those screws are accessible w/o touching the muffler (very close but not in the way). It is inside what looks like the back of the carb where I'll find the spring and valve. Is this correct ?
    Jch

Feb 22, 2010, 12:54 PM
    Hi,
    Well, it depends on the muffler installed. Some give you access. Beneath that cover (in they order are to the cover) are the diaphragm, a cap that fits on the spring and the spring.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Attached Images

Feb 22, 2010, 01:21 PM

Great ! THANKS !
    Jch

Feb 22, 2010, 06:31 PM

Clarke,

After splitting wood today I pulled the back off the carb and it appears there is a defect in one of the diaphragm flaps. I can see the cloth below the rubber covering. Do you sell the repair kit ? If so, I'll buy it from you. I pulled the following numbers off the pully face of the Briggs and Stratton engine. MDL 130212 TYPE 3190 01 CODE 90080107.

Feb 23, 2010, 07:26 AM

Hi,
    I am not a dealer, and do not work for one at this time. Yoy will need the 270026 diaphragm since your engine was mad on August 01, 1990. That is in the Code you quoted.
    I found Briggs as listing this as a dealer close by:
    Zoll's Lawn & Garden Equipment

2764 W. Main Street
    Medford, OR 97501
    (541) 772-3762
    Peace,
    Clarke

Feb 23, 2010, 09:40 AM

Well Clarke you have been a true blessing. Thank you very much! Gary Zoll is a known quantity here (positive) and I'll call him right away. Thanks again. As soon as I figure out how to do "ratings" yours will all be superlatives from me!
    Jch

Feb 26, 2010, 01:14 PM
    Hi,
    Well, it depends on the muffler installed. Some give you access. Beneath that cover (in they order are to the cover) are the diaphragm, a cap that fits on the spring and the spring.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Hey Clarke,

It's me again. The pest ! I replaced the diaphragm and nothing has changed. 2 things. First, I want to make sure I put the diaphragm in correctly. I put the depression (bulge) of the diaphragm toward the cover so that the cap of the spring fits into that depression. Is that correct ?

Secondly Gary Zoll the Briggs dealer suggested I might try opening the idle screw in case bad gas has clogged the passage ways. That too does seem to have helped but I thought I'd try the combination for a while and see if things improve over time.

What do you think ?
    Jch
    shindiawa Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 01:30 PM

Spring cap diapham and cover,
    If your talking about the air / fuel mixture screw .I would take it out spray wd40 in the hole run it back in .then turn it out 1 1/2 turns and adjust from there.

Feb 26, 2010, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shindiawa View Post
    Spring cap diapham and cover,
    if your talking about the air / fuel mixture screw .I would take it out spray wd40 in the hole run it back in .then turn it out 1 1/2 turns and adjust from there.
    THANKS ! I'll try that but what I was trying to first find out is which way does the diaphragm face. It has a cupped face that matches up to the carb but I'm not sure which way it fits. Which face goes toward the spring and which toward the back plate I took off to access the diaphragm?
    Jch

Feb 27, 2010, 03:52 PM

Hi,
    Suggest screwing in the idle screw in lightly and back out 1 1/2 turns. The diaphragm goes in one way because of its shape.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

9 HP Briggs and Stratton will not keep running [ 4 Answers ]

This is a craftsman wood chipper, with the 9HP engine. It was running 2 years ago. If I pour gas in the carb it will start and continue to run as long as I am pouring gas. I know gas is reaching the carb from the tank, the gas line was leaking and I replaced it. This weekend I was planning on...

Briggs and stratton 14.5 OHV won't keep running [ 1 Answers ]

Starts , runs for only a few seconds then stops When I take the spark plug out it's soaked in gas Is it flooding itself ? Does this mean the carb is stuck ? I don't know about carbs This one has a wire to the bottom of it (electronic ?) Any ideas how to correct would be appreciated

Hot water won't stay running hot [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a gas boiler for the hot water in my flat - about 6 months ago the hot water taps in the bathroom started running luke warm after 5min of running hot, even with the boiler firing up nicely. There was no problem with the hot water in the kitchen which would run hot as long as the...

16.5 Briggs & Stratton running rough [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman LT100 with a briggs and stratton 16.5 engine the engine runs but it is losing power and back fireing through the carby I have just had the head reconditioned with new valves new head gasket but it is still doing it I have set the valves at the correct settings was told that the...

4.0 briggs&stratton running too fast [ 1 Answers ]

Won't idle down

View more questions Search