Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 07:27 PM
    Are we much to full of pride?
    I'm reading and article in Envoy Magazine which says that pride is the most dangerous and therefore the biggest sin.
    Do you agree?
    Satan and a third of the heavenly angels were cast from heaven use to pride, the wanted to be Gods.
    Adam and Eve, succumbed to Satan's lies and were full of pride that they could be gods of like God if they ate from the forbidden tree.
    Their sin still rides through the ages with humanity.
    Atheism is an indication of pride. It's "I can do just fine by myself and don't need any God" pride.
    The person who claims to have saved someone is being prideful without giving the glory to God, namely the Holy Spirit.
    All I have and all and any good that I or others have done comes from God, the source and all good and love.
    :confused:So do you think that pride is the biggest of all sins or is there another more dangerous?:confused:
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 07:35 PM

Greed, sloth, lust and envy are ahead of pride, I feel, as being the "worst". A certain amount of pride is necessary to love, is it not? I think the over-abundance of pride is a sin, but not simple pride in itself.

I am "proud" to be a Christian...
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 07:36 PM

All Sin is the same.

No one sin is worse then another.

It is Salvation that we are saved from our sins. Gods unconditional love for his children.

So no pride is not a greatest sin, in actually reality all sin can lead us down the same path of destruction.

Right?
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 08:42 PM

jmjoseph,
    I do think that pride is the most dangerous of sins because it can and often does get to be excessive.
    The bible also leads us to believe that pride is a leader in sinfulness for it says, "Pride goeth before the fall."
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 08:47 PM

All sin is the same. All sin can get excessive. All sin leads to the fall. If you want me to bring out biblical examples I will.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2010, 09:12 PM

jmjoseph,
    No Need for that. I'm a Catholic so therefore I believe as The Church Teaches that there are mortal and venial sins.
    I've also been thinking that to say "I'm proud to be a Christian" can be a sin IF one thinks that that person become one by him or her self.
    Therefore while I am pleased to be a Christian I give the credit to me being one to God from whom all good things come.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Feb 24, 2010, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    :confused:So do you think that pride is the biggest of all sins or is there another more dangerous?:confused:
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred
    Fred - this is a little tricky to answer, I think. Here's my thought. Jesus said that all sins would be forgiven except blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Well, pride could very well be the single factor at work in blasphemy but I don't know for sure.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit as I understand it is the internal hostility of a person's heart towards the activity of the Spirit. This phenomenon is best seen in the following passage of Matthew 12:22-32:

"Then there was brought to Him a demon-possessed man who was blind and dumb, and He healed him, so that the dumb man spoke and saw. 23And all the multitudes were amazed, and began to say, "This man cannot be the Son of David, can he?" 24But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, "This man casts out demons only by Beelzebub the ruler of the demons." 25And knowing their thoughts He said to them, "Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and any city or house divided against itself shall not stand. 26"And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then shall his kingdom stand? 27"And if I by Beelzebub cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? Consequently they shall be your judges. 28"But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29"Or how can anyone enter the strong man's house and carry off his property, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30"He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters. 31"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32"And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come,"

The Pharisees and multitudes were seeing the same events. The multitudes responded by asking the question, "this can't be the son of David, can he?" Their question was more one of astonishment. Who but the One promised of old can do such things but the Messiah? They were seeing clearly the amazing miracles that Jesus was performing and were rightly stunned by them.

The Pharisees on the other hand reacted differently. Their hearts were not open to what they saw and instead of responding with wonder and amazement they criticized Jesus of being one with Satan and casting out demons by Satan's power (Beelzebub). Well, Jesus performed miracles through the power of the Holy Spirit and so for the Pharisees to call the work of the Holy Spirit demonic was a reflection of their inner hostility to the things of God. Jesus was saying to them and the mulititudes, all of your sins will be forgiven by God but if you reject the authentic work of the Spirit of God at work in the world, then that will not be forgiven. Well, what is going on? Jesus is simply saying that for anyone who is open to God and what he is doing, God is willing to pardon them of all their sins. But for a person to harden his heart against God and refuse to humble himself, his biggest obstacle to God isn't all of his sins in his past... his obstacle is refusing to bow his knee to his creator and be forgiven.

Jesus is identifying an attitude in the passage I quoted above. The Pharisees calling the miracles of Jesus a work of Satan was not in of itself the issue. Their words reflected a hard-hearted rebellion towards God and they evidenced that rebellion by calling the work of the Spirit evil. So you see, God is willing to forgive someone for any sin but if someone does not want their sins forgiven, that refusal to come to God for forgiveness will be the one and only sin that will never be forgiven because it was the only thing that stood in the way between him and God.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2010, 06:56 PM

jakester,
    Thanks much for that thoughtful answer.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Feb 24, 2010, 07:03 PM

Hello Arcura,

"Are we full of pride" "Is pride the biggest sin"... ABSOLUTELY!!
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2010, 08:45 PM

Enigma1999,
    Thanks much.
    I tend to agree.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Feb 26, 2010, 07:06 AM

Fred,

I suspect that an over-abundance of misplaced pride may be the root cause (aside from Satan himself) of most of our other sins.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2010, 03:24 PM

kindj,
    I do agree.
    Over much self pride rather than giving God credit indeed is the ground for "pride goeth before the fall."
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Mar 2, 2010, 12:02 AM
    Let's cut right to the chase and not fool around. God's word the King James Bible says in Psalm 51 verse 17:"THE SACRIFICES OF GOD are A BROKEN SPIRIT. A BROKEN AND A CONTRITE HEART O GOD THOU WILT NOT DESPISE." This verse clearly states that humility is acceptable to God. James 4 verse 6 says:"...GOD RESISTETH THE PROUD BUT GIVETH GRACE TO THE HUMBLE." What could be more clear than that ? Romans 3:11 says:"THERE IS NONE THAT UNDERSTANDETH. THERE IS NONE THAT SEEKETH AFTER GOD." From that statement it is clear that the whole human race is infected with sin. And certainly pride is a sin.

The problem is that most of humanity does not accept the above statements as TRUTH. Our competitive world demands that we deal with life and with each other pridefully. Humanistic intellectuals call it HEALTHY SELF ESTEEM. What arrogance!
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2010, 07:56 AM

Headstrong,

I agree! And who was more humble than the Lord Jesus Christ? He IS God and yet He humbled himself and became lower than the angels the Bible says. He did this for because he LOVED us. And WE as humans won't even humble ourselves sometimes to even apologize to someone we have wronged. It is a sad, sinful state to be prideful.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2010, 01:34 PM

HeadStrongBoy,
    Yes, I agree that pride can be a big down fall for a person.
    After all we are to emulate God The Son, Jesus Christ, who was and is a very humble person.
    I hope and pray that we all do so.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermal pride furance [ 2 Answers ]

My furance won't stay running what wiil be wrong

Pride belt? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I could find the pride belt?

Pride and Joy [ 1 Answers ]

Four friends, who hadn't seen each other in 30 years, reunited at a party After several drinks, one of the men had to use the rest room. Those who remained talked about their kids. The first guy said, 'My son is my pride and joy. He started working at a successful company at the...

Swallowing pride [ 16 Answers ]

Hi to all, Just a quick one. I was just wondering, been split up (dumped) with my ex g/f for about 3 an half months now... an recently she's tried making contact a couple of times but I don't see the point at all. As she either wants all of me or none of me... I'm not into having girls as...

View more questions Search