Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bonita-- Posts: 301, Reputation: 17

Feb 21, 2010, 05:12 PM
    What is better for immune function, centrum or zinc?
    I'm looking to boost my immune system. I've been taking Centrum Forte which is a multi-vitamin that is also supposed to help your immune system. Today I went out and purchased Vitamin C tablets and Zinc which is supposed to help maintain immune function. I was wondering if it's OK to take both the centrum forte and the zinc? Or should I just take one and if so which one would be better to boost my immune system?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 21, 2010, 05:44 PM

Just be careful with zinc because you can overdose yourself on it.

Ref:

Zinc

So look at the numbers and add the totals to see where you would be at.

Feb 22, 2010, 03:45 AM
    Oh OK, thanks for the info.

In your opinion what do you think would be better for immune boost, the multi-vitamin or the zinc that is made specifically to boost your immune system? In my opinion it would be the zinc because it was made to do that but I don't know.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 03:00 PM

If you feel that zinc is where you need it most then that's fine. Just don't overdue it. Follow the directions on the bottle and check that link I posted before to make sure your not over doing it.

Also in your other thread the place I posted for super C makes a lot of claims too and they give out free samples. So you might want to try something like that and see how you feel with it.

Feb 24, 2010, 03:27 AM
    I checked the zinc chart and it says I should be having 8mg a day. The bottle that I bought has 50mg and 100 pills in it which means that's 0.50mg per pill. The centrum has 7.5mg of zinc and 120 pills in the bottle which is 0.06mg per pill. If I take both it will be 0.56mg per day, if I'm correct, so I think it'll be OK if I take both. Thanks for the info though I didn't know you could overdose yourself on zinc.

As for the vitamin C, I'm taking these chewable pills right now which I really like because the centrums are huge and they taste like crap, so it's nice to have something that is easy to swallow and tastes good lol.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 24, 2010, 02:31 PM

50mg is 6&1/2 times the recommended dosage of 8mg a day. So adding another 7.5mg would push you to over 7 times the recommended limit. The thing is to figure out what your max limit is just to be safe. It varies by age, gender and body weight.

Mar 3, 2010, 11:48 AM

Sorry I took so long to respond to this. I went back to the store and got a lower dosage, 25mg instead of 50mg. So now I can take both in one day without over dosing.

I thought that there were 50mg in the whole bottle, not 50mg per pill, so yea I was over dosing myself. Thanks again though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Zinc+lead(ll)nitrate yield zinc nitrate+lead [ 3 Answers ]

write the word equation as chemical equation and balance

Organic Zinc & Inorganic Zinc [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between organic zinc and inorganic zinc ?

Immune System [ 1 Answers ]

How do doctors use the immune system response to protect you from disease and what is an example of a disease that attacks the human immune system?:confused:

View more questions Search