Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cyklnut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 04:31 PM
    How do I mount the adjustable shower drain to a wood floor?
    I am building a tile shower on a wooden subfloor. How do I attach the adjustable shower drain to the floor?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 06:01 PM
    Hi Cyklnut...

For our discussion to be clear, the shower drain is called the shower strainer assembly... O.K?

I'm going to assume that you are installing a vinyl shower membrane here, right? If so, you don't attach most adjustable shower strainer assemblies to the floor, but instead you connect the shower strainer assembly to the 2" drain pipe. The 2" drain pipe should be very well secured.

All that being said, there is a method of cutting the floor so the flange of the shower strainer assembly sits flush with the subfloor... very nice when it comes to the weep holes in the shower strainer assembly and allowing the vinyl membrane to keep drained as needed. Let me know if you want to discuss this... very important here.

Finally, are you planning to PREPITCH the vinyl membrane... hmmm? This is a very important step that most first time shower builders miss, but in some ways it is the most important step as it keeps mold and odors from popping up down the road.

Let us know more on your project...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What so I need to do to switch my 8 inch floor drain to a 2 in drain for shower basin [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 8 in. floor drain in my basement that sits about 6 inches below the rest. It is being used for a open shower and now I am wanting to put a porcelain shower base. Need to know what I needed to do. House was built in 1972

Install PVC Adjustable/Flange Shower Drain [ 1 Answers ]

I'm re-doing my bathroom. Tile guys ripped up the previous composite/fiberglass shower pan which will be replaced with a tiled and mortared pan. I'm not doing the pan construction but do need to have an adjustable shower drain installed for the shower pan guy to work around. My current...

Need 3" floor depth adjustable cable drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Installing custom shower, need to install cable drain overflow to go through 1 1/2 lite weight concrete, 3/4 plywood, tile and tub liner (membrane). Aprox 3 inch. Who would manufacture this adjustable drain?

Floor drain for shower [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this forum. I have removed a tub shower and I am adding a shower only. I am going to use the Kerdi on the walls and I am looking for some help on the floor drain. I have attached pictures and you can see the drain was not centered so I saw cut the floor. The p trap is presently...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search