Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ianvhutchinson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 04:25 PM
    Can the UK tax man levy tax on my US income?
    I am working in the US on an H-1B visa. I have paid full US federal and California state taxes for the last 4 years.

Surely I am exempt from UK taxation under the current treaty. However, the UK tax authorities don't think so!
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Feb 21, 2010, 09:40 AM

I don't believe you are liable to tax in the UK on income earned without the UK.

See: Residence and Domicile Taxation in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 09:37 AM
    Five Rings:

In the past, I would agree with you without reservation.

However, I have been getting reports from clients in the U.K. that the government there is beginning to take the same attitude towards their citizen's world-wide income that the U.S. government has long held. i.e. ALL world-wide income of U.K. citizens is subject to U.K. income taxes.

This may be something we need to investigate more thoroughly.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Apr 22, 2010, 10:42 AM

Yes. They are trying to squeeze out as much as they can.

See: Tax Definitions
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 7, 2010, 01:12 PM
    Well, that is about as clear as mud!

And I thought U.S. tax regulations were overly complex!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Corporations: State Income Tax deductible for Federal Inc. Tax [ 8 Answers ]

I am preparing my 1120 Fed. Inc. Tax return and am a little confused about how State Income taxes accrued during the year play in the determination of the Federal Inc. Tax Payable. Logically, it should look something like this: Steps 1) First, create the P&L Statement following the IRS...

1120: State income tax deductible in federal tax return for corp. [ 2 Answers ]

In our C Corp. we use the Accrual method of accounting. Nevertheless, in our past Federal Inc. tax returns, my accountant (actually, ex-accountant) has been deducting the State Inc. Taxes PAID in the FY, instead of the accrued tax. I want to start deducting the accrued tax, starting this FY's...

Tax query International student, bank income, tax rebate [ 2 Answers ]

1.Came from overseas, previously worked and saved some money, now a student with no employment; income being only the interest from bank. 2.How to pay tax on this since I do not have W-2, no withholding etc. 3. If someone goes back home overseas, now out of status but still has funds in US...

Estate Tax, Trust Co Tax, Affect on Income bracket [ 1 Answers ]

I am receiving $5,000 from a Trust Company my grandparents set up for when they pass on. I was told that the Trust Company would tax that $5,000 dollars, is that proper and can anyone cite specific references? Further, I understand that money will not be taxed by the IRS but will it affect my...

Income tax treatment of sales tax on improvement to rental property [ 3 Answers ]

For income tax purposes, major improvements to my rental property must be depreciated over a period of years. Can I take the sales tax on those improvements as a deduction in the year of the improvement, or must the sales tax amount be included in the depreciation schedule? Thank-you, ...

View more questions Search