Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iseeyou Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 11:47 AM
    Is it illegal to use spy camera to record someone without their permission?
    I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm wondering if using a spy pen camera to record someone is against the law? Could I take legal action against this individual who recorded me without my knowledge?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 12:03 PM

Mostly it depends on the purity of the purpose. Lets say in a case of home protection. Or to see if someone is stealing from you at your home. Those are different from outright spying. If someone is overtly doing it for unreasonable issues then it most likely is illegal and an invasion of privacy. Was this outside of the home ?

Feb 20, 2010, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Mostly it depends on the purity of the purpose. Lets say in a case of home protection. Or to see if someone is stealing from you at your home. Those are different from outright spying. If someone is overtly doing it for unreasonable issues then it most likely is illegal and an invasion of privacy. Was this outside of the home ?
    Yes this was outside any home. It was in public and in restaurant. I want to know if I would have a case against this individual?
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 12:14 PM

Was it someone you know? Or was it a stranger? Did you see what was filmed? Was it focused on places it shouldn't have been? All of that comes into play.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2010, 12:17 PM

I think the main issue is what the video is used for.

Its not illegal to film people in a public place.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I think the main issue is what the video is used for.

Its not illegal to film people in a public place.
    I agree. There are legal lines and definitions as to where and when also including purpose of matters like this one.

Feb 20, 2010, 12:40 PM
    Yes I know I was being recorded after the spy pen was pointed at me. I asked the person to erase the video but he refused.

Does this mean anyone can go take a video of a person in public place and keep the video even if he asks to remove the video and asks not to be filmed?
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 12:52 PM

The essence of it is that even though a "spy cam" was used since it wasn't in a covert manner and it was in a public place it is rude at best but it doesn't sound illegal. It would be different if we were talking covert type of activity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Spy camera [ 2 Answers ]

My aunt lives in an assisted living home. She is constantly getting things taken from her. We think it's the help. We want to install an inexpensive spy camera. Something that would only tape if there is movement in the room. She does not have a computer. Does anyone have any suggestions?...

Spy movie title needed.spy movie- double for someone else. [ 3 Answers ]

I can't seem to remember the name of a certain movie I watched years ago. It envloves a marine who I believe fakes his own death, and is then trained to become a stand in for someone else, who is evil. The man, is forced to eat some kind of soup for every meal. He is forced to memorize the...

Is it illegal to paint over vandalism without permission? [ 3 Answers ]

My brother and his friend saw some really ugly vandalism done by some very inexperienced idiots at the elementary school by our house. He and his friend decided to paint over it with the matching color to damaged wall. However, they did not ask for permission from the school or anyone; they just...

Recommend a nanny camera or hidden camera system [ 5 Answers ]

I am hiring a live-in nanny and like any paranoid but responsible parent I want nanny cams. Can anyone recommend a company or system for me asap. I want hidden cameras. I would like to be able to view my house while traveling via internet. Also I want to record all activity in the house. Please...

Wireless spy camera set in carport [ 1 Answers ]

If I bring the receiver from the carport to the family room. About 50feet. I have a small TV, with only the antenna out fitting in the back. Do you think I could hook It up to the TV??

View more questions Search