Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 10:54 AM
    Coloured solutions
    I'm having some trouble understanding how coloured solutions like copper(II) sulfate can remain blue.

All started in my chemistry class, in the transition elements lesson. The teacher said that the 3d orbital of copper gets split into two: 3d_xy, 3d_yz, 3d_xz and 3d_x^2-y^2, 3d_z^2 when it is ionised and hydrated (like in CuSO4). Then, one electron from the first triplet of orbital will go up into the second doublet of orbital when it absorbs energy, in the form of light. This process absorbs violet and red wavelengths of light and reflects blue. Then, the ion is stable and the electron remains up there, in the second doublet orbital.

But I was wondering, how can the solution of copper sulfate remain blue, if there are no more electrons moving from one energy level to another? :confused:I asked my teacher, but she said the electrons do not change orbital, and the solution remains blue. =/

That just didn't make sense to me. I tried consulting my physics teacher, and he told me that indeed, the electron is affected by light, and resonance occurs in the orbital, so that the electron changes orbitals constantly, up and down.

But to be sure, I decided to ask here, if anyone can confirm it?

Thanks!
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Feb 21, 2010, 08:52 PM

Stay with your physics teacher! Here is the clue within your explanation: "Then, one electron from the first triplet of orbital will go up into the second doublet of orbital when it absorbs energy, in the form of light." It absorbs the energy of the light ("goes up"), then it spontaneously goes back to the original, lower energy level, a more stable state. And then "goes up" again. Hydrated Cu2+ ions absorb yellowish-orange light. The blue color is not what they "reflect", blue color is white light minus "yellowish-orange" wavelengths, exclusively picked out by hydrated Cu2+.
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 05:32 AM

Ok, but that also means that the Cu^2+ is also emitting light, since one electron goes from a higher orbital to a lower one... :confused:

Feb 22, 2010, 11:04 AM

Not all transitions from higher to lower energy levels cause emission! You can't count on light emission in every transition, because there are multiple other ways to dissipate the energy difference.
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 11:06 AM

Hmm... such as? I can't picture any way right now of how the electron gets to a lower energy level, without the 'lost' energy being emitted :(

Feb 22, 2010, 07:31 PM

It took people decades of experimenting to "picture" this stuff. This is sometimes called "radiationless transition".
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2010, 07:37 AM

Ok, I think I'll look for that. Thanks for your help! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skin lightening for coloured people? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey I'm new to all this and so any advice / assistance would be appreciated. Basically my father is indian and my mother is Chinese and currently I'm living in Australia my skin is very dark (no exaggeration) and I would like to inquire as to how I would go about lightening it. I don't want to...

Attenuation of light through coloured liquids. [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to research the attenuation of light through colored liquids, in particular Ribena. I used a colorimeter with varying Ribena concentrations and a steady pH value to gain some absorbency values. I am struggling to find a relationship between absorbency and attenuation. I would like to...

Plants under coloured lights [ 1 Answers ]

Hey We're doing this experiment in school on the effects of plants when they are covered in different coloured cellophane (clear, red blue and green). And I'd like to know why the plants don't grow well under blue and red lights.. is it because plants absorb the red and blue wavelengths, and since...

View more questions Search