Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rentmyhouse Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 10:31 AM
    HAIL DAMAGE : Can I file a claim with my previous insurance provider?
    I had been with Alfa for about 20 years for my homeowners insurance when they suddenly and for no valid reason jacked the rates by about 30%. This included my personal residence as well as 3 rental properties I own.
    I spoke to my agent and he assured me that if I would switch my auto insurance (with Geico now) he could help me with the increase. I have two younger drivers on my policy and I wasn't about to raise all those red flags, so I decided to shop for other homeowners insurance.
    After several quotes I decided to go with a company called Cincinnati for all my homeowers policies and was delighted with a reduction in my rates on all my properties.

Here is where it gets interesting. All this took place in December of 2009 and my previous Alfa policies have all been cancelled.

Now, after seeing almost every neighbor on my block have their roofs replaced with either full or pro-rated help from their insurance companies due to a large hail storm, I realize I should have tried to get Alfa to help before the policy was cancelled by me. I don't feel I should try and get a company I've only been with for a couple of months to help since they were not my provider at the time of the hail storm.

The hail storm occurred in April 2009 according to the roofing contractors canvassing our area looking for insurance backed roof replacement work, and being very successful I might add.

Finally, my question is can I still file a hail damage claim with Alfa for the hail storm that occurred in April of 2009 when they were my provider even though they were cancelled in December of 2009 or is this just a case of bad timing on my part?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 11:18 AM

The customary cutoff for many companies to file a claim is a year. Just call Alfa and see what they say; you don't have anything to lose at this point. I'm not familiar with this company but each company governs the time that you are allowed to file old claims.

Just know that the more time that has passed since a loss (whether it's storm damage or theft), the more difficult it is for you to prove your case. Plus, even if they are willing to take the claim, you're looking at recovering less because the damage was exacerbated by you waiting so long.

You can not file a claim with Cincinnati because they were not your insurance provider at the time of the storm.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 09:04 PM

I agree, contact Alfa and point out the hidden aspect of roof hail damage. They will likely show other clients had claims after that April storm too. We hail very damaging hail and you had to actually get on the roof and inspect from about 1' above the shingles to see the small cracks and dents.
    jhicks278 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 01:36 PM

Update- Alfa paid this claim in full as they should have. No problems and thanks to those who answered the question for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim 5 kids and file jointly w/sp. Or do I allow ex to claim 2? [ 1 Answers ]

I am married with 5 children, my ex husband wants to claim 2 of my kids, does it benefit me to claim 5 kidsand file jointly with my now husband or should I just let my ex claim the other 2 kids?

How to claim K-1 from previous year? [ 2 Answers ]

I have some loss from K-1 form from previsou year. Not much.. few hundred dollars.. I used turbo tax to enter the numbers but I get LESS than actual loss from the K-1. First, how do I claim loss from previous year of K-1 form? Second, what is the better way to maximize refund? Thank you.

Roof damage claim [ 5 Answers ]

I have wind caused roof damage on half of the slopes of my home. I have replacement or repair policy, but my roof shingles are no longer available. The roof is 10 years old. The shingle manufacture is no longer in business. What can I expect from an insurance adjuster when he inspects my damage?

Hit deer October 2006, want to repair with previous claim [ 1 Answers ]

I hit a deer in October of 2006. I called the highway patrol and they filled out a report. I also filed a claim and got an estimate the next day. At the time, paying the $500 deductible just didn't seem worth it for the amount I thought I could fix it for myself. Now after a year and 4 months,...

Repairs for damage from previous tenants [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live in Missouri. Recently our complex changed the rules regarding moving out. They sent out a letter that indicated that we, the current tenant, must make all repairs and clean the apartments to, "bring them up to the standards of the board." In the letter it when on to state, "We...

View more questions Search