Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KAMA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2006, 12:36 PM
    Bank Account Garnishments
    A gargishment was set in our bank account the day before thanksgiving, we were not notified by the creditor by phone or certified mail , is this illegal ? How long does the process take to submit a garnishment on an account?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2006, 12:58 PM
    First they will not tell you when they will garnishment an account. You must have a judgment against you.

You can file Motion to quash, to give you sometime before it is remove from the account.

Go to the court and get a copy of the judgment, and see if it is sign by the judge for garnishment.

Speak to an attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 26, 2006, 03:48 PM
    This could not be a surprise, you would have to owed them money for some time, they would have tied all sorts collection methods.

Next they would have gotten a judgement, you may have been notified, or they may have published the notice in a legal news depending on your state.

Once they get a judgement they can get an attachment of your bank account, or a garnishment of your wages where you work.

You may file in court and delay it, but if you owe it, you can't stop it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 26, 2006, 04:05 PM
    As Chuck said this shouldn't have been a total surprise. Frankly it amazes me how many people get hit with a garnishment and are surprised by it. If you incur a debt you have to pay it back.

Its perfectly legal for them to serve the bank without notifying you. If they notified you, you would close the account first.

Your options now are to check with the bank and find the court that issued the judgement. Then try to get it rescinded. But the only way that will happen is if a mistake was made or they didn't make a reasonable attempt to notify you. But if you knew about the judgement, then its unlikely you can do anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking Account Garnishments [ 4 Answers ]

I was recently surprised that my checking account had been garnished by a creditor for a debt that I owe. I was making payments to the creditor, and then they file for a judgement against me. I don't understand it. Nevertheless, I have a disabled husband, and disabled daughter of which neither...

Bank Account Seizure [ 14 Answers ]

I was married less than a year ago. Up to this point I have had a bank account for 13 years, no problems and no outstanding debt. But my new husband has a debt that is unresolved and now creditors/collectors has put a freeze on my bank account because I recently added his name. All of the monies...

Bank Account Levy [ 5 Answers ]

I Found this post: Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:23 PM The exact thing just happened to me. (except for the just married part) Someone replied that she needed to file a motion to Quash. Could anyone please tell me how to go about this? The debt is for child support arrears out of CO, and we're in...

Bank Account Garnishments [ 5 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen by a company for a vehicle I co-signed for with a friend in 1999 who had insufficient credit. It was repossessed without my knowledge until much later :mad:. The car was purchased solely for my friend to use as I had a car;never drove it or rode in it. Both of...

Frozen bank account [ 1 Answers ]

A judgement has my bank account frozen. Apparently the credit card company sued me after I moved and sent notices to my old address for 4 years. The debt collectors/bottom feeders told me the credit card company sent me a settlement offer in October 2006 to my old address. I never received any...

View more questions Search