Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corriehac Posts: 87, Reputation: -1

Nov 26, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Any free way to search your family tree.
    I am not paying ancetry.com etc. Is there any site that will help track family tree threw births and deaths for free.
    addy Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Nov 26, 2006, 01:10 PM
    I Am Not Positive But Maybe Heritage Quest Will And I Read Your Post About Your Bro And I Am Praying For You
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2006, 03:37 AM
    Typically, the issuing locality (city, township or county) will charge a bit for Birth and Death Records. See here for how and where to get the ones you want. Don't pay vitalrec for them... just call the location where you wish, and confirm with them what their charge is and for what years they have the records available.

Also, see here for some other search tips.

Chances are, there are others researching the same people you are... so finding their research... and what records they have found... is a great start.

95% of all I've found (12000 names in my database now) was found by free sources.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Nov 27, 2006, 05:41 AM
    www.lds.org is a good link. If you are in the UK, our local registry office allows searches for free, but copies of certificates are chargeable.
    It may be possible but your local library may hold records that will assist.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2006, 06:30 AM
    Try these:

www.gencircles.com/globaltree/search

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Sear...set_search.asp

Also, just Googling the name you're looking for can sometimes work. There are lots of personal genealogy pages out there that can be accessed that way.

Good luck.
    GeneGenie Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Dec 8, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Test response
    GeneGenie Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Dec 12, 2006, 05:27 AM
    Also, see the sticky at the top of this board for some other free resources.
    Brysize Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 11:13 AM
    You could also post on the http://genforum.genealogy.com/. If your surname is not there, you can request that. I did that for four surnames. Then post your information or search other postings. If you do find the answer make sure you up date your posting so you or someone else doesn't repeat your work. The other advantage is that others can find you and email you to try and share data.
    bjjulie1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Try GenForum - Home and see what others have. It is easy once the site is up type in the surname you are looking for, there is a free trial period but there is a charge after that free period - it is cheaper than ancestry.com - I use ancestry though because there is so much more available. Another site is default.htm
    Let me know what you are seeking and I perhaps can help you
    MrsMac2003 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by colbtech
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a good link. If you are in the UK, our local registry office allows searches for free, but copies of certificates are chargeable.
    It may be possible but your local library may hold records that will assist.
    The website for LDS (FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records) is good but not the best. I have not found the best but I know that any information you get from LDS NEEDS TO BE CORROBORATED! Documents are necessary. So many people in my Yahoo genealogy group have complained about well-meaning people submitting family tree information for other people and it is invariably incorrect information.

No matter where you get your information, it is always best to verify that information for yourself. That will mean ordering copies of documents in a lot of cases. As far as Ancestry.com, perhaps you can find someone who has ancestry.com and ask them to do a look up for you. I know that there are a lot of genealogy groups in MSN groups, Yahoo groups etc. with people who would love the opportunity to help anyone with a brick wall! They can even email you copies of images of actual documents from Ancestry.com.
    bruce1212 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
    I know that the LDS Church is big on geology. You can get more information on them at:

http://lds.org

http://mormon.org

http://www.IAmMormon.us

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free/Almost Free Online Multiplayer Games [ 51 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone could recommend any free/nearly free online multiplayer games. A few friends and I are looking for some good games over the internet. Preferably something other than a MMORPG as you have to devote a lot of time to those in order to keep up with each other. ...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Looking for members of the Greer Family Tree living in Illinois, Indiana, Tennessee [ 2 Answers ]

I have started searching my family lines on my mother side... it is a total challenge for the different cultures and heritages that are involved... have some information about the Greer Family with this special history please contact...

View more questions Search