Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdhanwani Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 03:57 AM
    Tax implication -Spouse on H1 or H4
    Hi,

My fiancé is working in California on H1B. I am planning to get married and move with him on H4. I also have an option with me to take up a job myself and move on H1B visa. I wanted to understand the tax implications on both of our salaries in case I am on H4 or on H1. Request your guidance. Also, what is the minimum exemption and how do I calculate the taxable income. Say for example if both me and my spouse earn 100,000$ each.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Feb 21, 2010, 09:50 AM

Excuse me but if you anticipate making $200,000 annually why not go crazy and hire a tax professional to do some serious planning. It will be money well spent.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 02:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pdhanwani View Post
    Hi,

My fiance is working in California on H1B. I am planning to get married and move with him on H4. I also have an option with me to take up a job myself and move on H1B visa. I wanted to understand the tax implications on both of our salaries in case I am on H4 or on H1. Request your guidance. Also, what is the minimum exemption and how do i calculate the taxable income. Say for example if both me and my spouse earn 100,000$ each.
    Depends upon what return you or your fiancé is filing--- nonresident return, as married filing jointly or as married filing separately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax implication for Stocks Trading for foreign nationals [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Few weeks back I had posted a query on this forum regarding the Tax form that I will need to fill in this year. I got reply that I can either go with 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. Now last year (2008) I started to invest in stocks - not much - just buying 5 or 6 stocks of a certain company....

Tax implication when returning to India for good [ 6 Answers ]

I am an Indian working in L1 visa for last 5 years in US and want to go back to India in Feb 2008. I have questions on Resident Status in US and India for the years 2007 and 2008. I have spent only 150 days in India in the years Jan 2003 to Dec 2007 and the remaining time is in USA. I came to US in...

Tax implication [ 3 Answers ]

What is the tax implication for an early withdrawal of 401K funds?

Tax implication from selling property abroad [ 1 Answers ]

My wife has a property in Latvia that we want to sell. The property was privatized by her (it was owned by the USSR government before). . That was her primary residence before she moved here in 1999 and her mom lived there since. What would be the tax implication of selling this property and...

View more questions Search