Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wm3798 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 07:32 PM
    16 hp briggs and stratton engine pushing oil into crankcase breather tube
    16 hp briggs and stratton engine pushing oil into crankcase breather tube. The engine is in a Cub Cadet 582 and the oil collects in the air cleaner pan. The oil level is correct. Any idea what might be wrong?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2010, 07:45 PM

Replace the breather assy.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 07:19 AM

You could have a crankshaft seal leaking,or it could be bad piston oil rings.
    You need to have manometer to test the internal pressure of the engine.
    Good Luck
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 08:36 AM

DG:

Can you explain this "manometer test", the range in pressure/vacuum and at least one piece of equipment capable of doing the job?
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 09:18 AM

It's a simple instrument.Theres several sights that show them .the one I have I made.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2010, 10:19 AM

Lots of time what causes oil in the breather on briggs engine.is a simple leak around the dipstick tube where it goes into the engine
    prbarry1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 10:55 AM
    Culprit is most likely the "Breather Valve".
    Follow the hose from the air cleaner to where it attaches to the engine and that is where the breather valve is.

You will have to remove the air cleaner & intake manifold to get to it.

When you take the breather off there should be a steel flapper.
    See if it moves easily, if it doesn't, try spraying some carb cleaner and see if that frees it up.

Also check for damage to the flapper and check the gaskets.

I have a herd of these 14.5 hp I/C engines and every couple of years I will have to do this to at least one of them.

I am going to experiment with an automotive PCV valves where the oil breather hose comes onto the air cleaner and see if any of these will work, because it is a major pain to tear so much stuff off to fix a simple problem.

The thing is when you have that BIG 500cc piston moving back and forth you get some very high crankcase pressures.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2012, 01:56 PM
    That sounds like a plan. Try looking a 3 or 4 cylinder engine cars or the PCV for the gasoline engine in a Hybrid car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel in crankcase, Briggs & Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Toro mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine (model: 312777. Type: 0128E1), OHV 4-cycle, single-cylinder, 17 hp. I am getting lots of fuel in the crankcase. (float needle issue? ) Also, what is factory compression? I am getting about 65. Steve

Oil blowing out Breather Tube [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman push lawn mower with a 5.5 hp engine. This spring it started blowing oil out of the breather tube. What can cause this? What do I need to check?

OIL change 11Hp Briggs and Stratton Engine [ 3 Answers ]

I have drained my oil and I don't know what type of oil I should fill it up with or how much it has no meter on it. Engine is 11h/ 3600 rpm Model:252707 Type 0620 01 Code 86080511 It says saej607 on cover is that it?

Toro briggs and stratton 17hp engine oil consumption [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Toro that I just purchased used that consumes 1 quart of oil every 3 hours of use. I removed the air cleaner and engine oil is dumping out for the engine breather. Do these engines have piston ring issues? I just paid 600 bucks for the mower and new engines are about 850 bucks online. Is...

12.5hp Briggs & Stratton Engine leaking oil [ 4 Answers ]

I have a ~16 year old Murray tractor with 12.5 hp B&S engine. When I tried to start it this season, it started rough, smoked badly and died. Found oil leaking near muffler and on the floor. Pulled the spark plug and it also had oil on it. Battery still cranking starter, but engine won't start. ...

View more questions Search