Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bambilee13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 06:54 PM
    I filed Bankruptcy in May 08 due to divorce. I just received a 1099-A for our house.
    I filed bankruptcy in May of 08 due to divorce. The house that my ex-husband and I owned together was part of that backruptcy and was discharged completely. I just received a 1099-A for this house stated a date of abandonment of 11-16-09. This is absurd and I do not know what I need to do with this if anything. Can someone help me?
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Feb 19, 2010, 06:56 PM

Was your bankruptcy a chapter 7 or 13?
    bambilee13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 07:07 PM

It was chapter 7.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 09:21 AM
    The Form 1099-A BY ITSELF will have no effect on your 2009 tax return, especially if the Fair Market Value of the house meets or exceeds the amount of the mortgage on the property.

When (and if) you get a Form 1099-C, then (and only then) will you face some tax consequences associated with the house foreclosure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Already filed taxes and received another W2 [ 2 Answers ]

I have already filed taxes for 2009 and have received another W2 for 0.08$ from my past employer. I left this employer in mid 2008 and did not work for him in 2009. The W2 has 0.08$ as the total income and it also mentions this amount under 12 a section of W2 with code C. Do I need to re file...

Urgent: single F1 student, received 1099 MISC due to CPT [ 4 Answers ]

Dear tax expert, I am a Chinese student under F1 visa, single female. This is my second year in the States(NY). In addition to W-2 and 1042-S, I also received 1099-G this year. At the same time I received two 1099-INT forms from two banks with very small amount, which I know that this is not...

1099 Misc received due to part of our Realtor's commission being rebated [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know if we have to show the realtor's commission rebate as income and if we do is there anyway to show any expenses from the sale against the rebate. We originally paid 4.5% commission to have our house sold. Three percent was given to the realtor of the buyer and the other 1.5% was...

Lien placed on house due to ex-wife a year after divorce. [ 1 Answers ]

My client was divorced in 2005 and in the divorce decree he received the house and she got money. About 18 months later she had a business go belly up and her landlord put a lien on his house because she never came off the deed. All the divorce paperwork shows he got the house and she gave up all...

1099 Received after already filed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I was just notified that I would be receiving a 1099 from the employer I started working for at the tail end of 2006. I probably should have anticipated getting one, but I didn't and already filed my return. What should I do once I get the 1099? I didn't make a whole lot of money...

View more questions Search