Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michaela_mooney17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2006, 10:59 AM
    Finding quadratic eqaution from a word problem
    A farmer uses 400m of fencing to create a rectangular pig pen and to divide it into four equal regions. Algebraically determine the function which gives the area of the pig pen as a function of its width, and state the dimensions that produce maximum area.

How do I start this off.. can anyone help me ?
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Nov 27, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Start by drawing a picture:

Code:
      <----w---->
    /\+----+----+
    | |    |    |
    | |    |    |
    h +----+----+
    | |    |    |
    | |    |    |
    \/+----+----+
    Now write an equation for the length of fence used:
    3*w+3*h=400

Now write an equation for the area of the pen:
    A=w*h

Solve the first equation for h so we can substitute it into the second (since the problem wants the equation in terms of w only).

3w+3h=400
    3h=400-3w
    h=400/3 - w

Substitute this into the second equation:

A=w*h
    A=w*(400/3 - w)
    A=(400w/3)-w^2

From here you should be able to solve for the width that gives the max area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic Equations... Problem Solving [ 6 Answers ]

A ball is thrown straight up. Its height, h(in metres), after t seconds is give by h= -5t^2+10t+2. To the nearest tenth of a second, when is the ball 6m above the ground? Explain why there are two answers. I don't know how to manipulate the formula and how to solve for this problem. Second...

Quadratic Equation word problem [ 4 Answers ]

A boat travels at a speed of 20 mph in still water. It travels 48 miles upstream, and then returns to the starting point in a total of 5 hours. The speed of the current is ____mph? I am not getting the setup right. Can someone help me?

Word Problem [ 2 Answers ]

One printing shop charges $5 plus $.02 perpage and a second shop charges $7 plus $.015 per page. If ___ pages are printed, the total cost is less for the first printing shop. a. less than 1500 b. less than 2100 c. less than 400 d. less than 900 I got c for my answer. Just checking to see...

Word Problem [ 1 Answers ]

You are going on a vacation and you decide to rent a car rather than using your own. You want to rent the car for 3 days and after surfing the internet for specials, found the following which includes tax: Big Money Car Rental: $30 per day, unlimited mileage. Dippity Do Car Rental: $25 per...

Word 2000 Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I put files onto a disc from my school and then loaded a Microsoft file, Microsoft word loads but only squares appear in the document. Anyone help, is it something to do with having a different os from the school, I have xp home and I think they have nt? Please could someone help me?

View more questions Search