Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kitula Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 04:02 PM
    After a few days of decent rain a sour, cheesy smell permeates one half of the house.
    My house is built on a concrete slab in low lying marsh land. After a few days of decent rain a sour, cheesy smell permeates one half of the house. The drains, wall cavities and ceiling space have been checked and all is well there. I have been told that pockets can form under the concrete slab but how do I check this and what can be done if this is the case? The smell will usually go away after some good drying weather but in the mean time everyone is left feeling sick from the stench. I do not believe this is a mould problem as the smell is sour and there is no evidence on damp spots on the tile flooring. I recently pulled up the tikles in the kitchen and the cement looked fine. However, cement was poured on top of an existing slab when the garage was converted into a living area. Hope this makes sense and someone out there can help me find the cause and solution to this revolting problem. Thanks in advance.

Check out some similar questions!

My house get a sewer smell when it rain, how to get rid of it [ 3 Answers ]

My home is approx 10 yrs. Old. We have added additional drain field, last year, and have had the septic tank flushed twice this year, we are stiill getting this toxic/sewer smell in our home when it rains heavy. Should we call a plumber to check the vents? We are in desperate need of HELP!!

What are the chances of getting 15 days of rain during the next 30 days? [ 7 Answers ]

What are the chances of getting 15 days of rain during the next 30 days? Assuming that there's a 70% of rain everyday and that what happens on one day (rain or shine) was not in any way dependent on what happened the day before. (Do I need to use BAYES' Theorem? Please help!)

Sour fetid smell [ 5 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. There is a bathroom drain (covered up) that runs under the house. I can smell a sour fetid smell - in the rooms where it runs, especially when the heating is on. No expert - but I think there is crawl space beneath the floor. I suspect a leak but am concerned about...

Sour smell coming from the floor in a brand new house [ 4 Answers ]

We have a sour smell that seems to be coming from the floor in one of our rooms. Our house is barely one year old and has a cement slab foundation. I actually noticed it about one month ago and have searched, cleaned and scrubbed, but have been unable to get rid of it. Any idea what could be...

Sour Milk Smell [ 2 Answers ]

Help, a few days ago some milk was spilt on my car seat. Within 10 minutes I had cleaned it with some hot soapy water and breadsoda. But yesterday the smell started. It is dreadful. Its like some animal has died and been left to rot in my car. I have tried leaving some breadsoda in an open...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.