Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 09:03 PM
    My reasons for NOT being a Catholic.
    YUP, if they can have a thread to tell everyone why they choose to be Catholic, then others can have a thread to tell the world why they are not.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 09:10 PM

450donn,

You are within your rights to do so.
    BUT, you have not told us anything about your story.
    What are your reasons ?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 09:12 PM

OK, this is your thread, speak your mind.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 09:26 PM

Too much pomp and ceremony, I do not believe in the system of nuns and fathers, bishops,popes. I read all the posts on here and it seems that many are brain washed into believing that the RCC is the only church. Sounds too much like a cult to my way of thinking. Yea, I know that is some not all.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 09:41 PM

Have you been a Catholic? Have you been to a Catholic Church?

I am Catholic, but am attending a Methodist Church right now because they have a better children's program for my two sons. We don't live close enough to a Catholic Church for us to attend one.

Even though I miss the RCC, I am quite satisfied with our present one. It doesn't matter where you "eat", as long as you get "fed".

I was raised, Christened, and Confirmed a catholic, and will be a Catholic to the day I die.

We all have our own choices. But I try not to denounce, or degrade, anyone else's choice of religion especially.

If you don't like the RCC, then find a Church that works for you. But try to be respectful of others.

There are more Catholics in the world than any other religion, I think. So you are out-numbered.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 10:11 PM

I choose not to be any other religion than the one I am (wiccan) because I have a hard time with the ideals, practices and must do's and must not do's of the religions. I am one who is more in tune with nature and find it hard to believe that one god put us on this earth
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 22, 2010, 09:54 AM

The word "catholic" means universal Christian, so in that sense of the word I am a catholic.

As far as the RCC is concerned, I can never be a part of it because of so many teachings that are nothing more than the ideas of men, not inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Some major ones are these, given with my reason for not accepting them.
    CATHOLIC DOGMAS

IMMACULATE CONCEPTION

Isa 64:6
    6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
    (KJV)

Rom 3:23
    23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
    (KJV)

Rom 3:9-10
    9 What then? Are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
    10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
    (KJV)

Gal 3:22
    22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
    (KJV)

Are we to ignore these plain words of Scripture and say that Mary was exempt from them?

As I posted in another thread, this dogma strikes at the heart of the clear Biblical teaching that Jesus was a man.

PERPETUAL VIRGINITY OF MARY

Matt 1:24-25
    24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
    25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
    (KJV)
    (What does that little word “till” say to us? If Joseph never had relations with Mary, then that word would not be in the original texts, but it is.)

Matt 12:47-50
    47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
    48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? And who are my brethren?
    49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
    50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
    (KJV)

Matt 13:55-56
    55 Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary? And his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
    56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?
    (KJV)

The Greek word used in all these passages is:

80 adephos (ad-el-fos');

From 1 (as a connective particle) and delphus (the womb); a brother (literally or figuratively) near or remote [much like 1]:
    KJV-- brother.

If used figuratively, it applies to every believer in Jesus. It is the same word that describes the relationship of Peter and Andrew or James and John.

The word for “sisters” is the feminine of the same Greek word.

I expect you can cite pages from the Catholic encyclopedia explaining why the clear and reasonable understanding of these passages is incorrect.

THE BODILY ASSUMPTION OF MARY

John 3:13
    13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
    (KJV)

Jesus said here that He is the only one. Notice that he speaks as though it had already happened even though His ascention is yet future at that time and He is not in Heaven at that time.

I doubt you can cite even one scripture that hints at a bodily ascention for Mary, and that dogma is a fairly recent one, based only on the word of a Pope.

PETER THE FIRST POPE

Does the Pope exercise dominion over all the other priests? I think he does. What do the Scriptures say?

Matt 20:25-27
    25 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
    26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
    27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
    (KJV)

Jesus told Peter specifically that what John did was none of his business.

John 21:21-22
    21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
    22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? Follow thou me.
    (KJV)

Paul publicly rebuked Peter for violating Christian principle. Would Paul have dared to do this if Peter was the Pope?

Gal 2:11
    11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
    (KJV)

Apparently Peter accepted the rebuke and had this to say about Paul:

2 Pet 3:15-16
    15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
    16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
    (KJV)

Here, Peter says that Paul's epistles are scripture.

Conclusion; every false teaching has the effect of negating the truth of the Bible and causing confusion so that the perpetrators can gain control over others.

2 Pet 2:1-3
    1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
    2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
    3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
    (KJV)
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 10:12 AM

Politics and religion two things I don't discuss ,no winner.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 10:24 AM

I was raised RCC. I was even an alter boy. By the time I hit 8th grade and saw the same priest get carried out of the local Italian bar/restaurant every Friday night I started to question why am I listening to this hypocrite. Then he hit me cause my uniform was crocked so I hit him back haven't been back to the church since. So I figure if I just live by the golden rule I'll be OK.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
    No winners
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 22, 2010, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I was raised RCC. I was even an alter boy. By the time I hit 8th grade and saw the same priest get carried out of the local Italian bar/restaurant every Friday night I started to question why am I listening to this hypocrite. Then he hit me cause my uniform was crocked so I hit him back haven't been back to the church since. So I figure if I just live by the golden rule I'll be ok.
    I hope you realize that there are vast differences in groups that call themselves "church".

There IS a real one. You just have to search carefully.
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    no winners
    Sure, there are winners.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 06:23 PM

Like I have said in many other posts but it turns into I am wrong and they are right.

I was brought up Roman Catholic but there are many teachings and rituals and other things that I fine do not line up with the bible.

There are things I feel my heart to be true and from the spirit of God, and I do not feel that any church, denomination or religion is 100 percent right or correct. I feel that the church we have today is man made and that we are all being led astray as to who the true God is.

There should be no winners and no losers. We should all love one another no matter what differences of beliefs, opinions and ideas are but in way too many instances people start judging others. Which I believe we should not be judging each other.

Many rulers and churches of today and members claim to be the right and correct one. When in reality it is far from that in my own opinion.

I believe there are many reasons people are either not part of the roman catholic church or being turned away from the roman catholic church.

The only ultimate judge to who is right or wrong will be God not any of us.

Joe
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    Like I have said in many other posts but it turns into I am wrong and they are right.

I was brought up Roman Catholic but their are many teachings and rituals and other things that I fine do not line up with the bible.

There are things I feel my heart to be true and from the spirit of God, and I do not feel that any church, denomination or religion is 100 percent right or correct. I feel that the church we have today is man made and that we are all being led astray as to who the true God is.

There should be no winners and no losers. We should all love one another no matter what differences of beliefs, opinions and ideas are but in way too many instances people start judging others. Which I believe we should not be judging each other.

Many rulers and churches of today and members claim to be the right and correct one. When in reality it is far from that in my own personal opinion.

I believe there are many reasons why people are either not part of the roman catholic church or being turned away from the roman catholic church.

The only ultimate judge to who is right or wrong will be God not any of us.

Joe
    I agree. We should not be judging other religions. If you don't particularly like one or the other, then by all means, don't attend that church.
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 07:13 PM

I don't think they are really judging. Well the op is not I don't think. Just asking people why they choose not to believe said religion
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 07:24 PM

You have misunderstood binx44.

There are many people in certain religions, including Catholics that judge others if they do not believe the same, or have the same religion there are many judges in this world. Never said that the op was judging at all, but was referring to other religious posts where it has happened. Certain people think they are right over others. Always labeling others wrong and themselves right. Which many Catholics and other religious people do, which should not happen.

Joe
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 07:26 PM

Thank you for helping me understand. I read back to some of the other posts. I do see where you are coming from there. Sorry :D
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 07:55 PM

Again, disscussion is one thing, attacking over and over from post to post (saying the same thing) is getting old.

We are not to attack the faith of others, why not say why you are a baptist, or methodist, or Church of the Higher Plain.

Saying why you are not something, is merely worthless and offensive to those that enjoy that faith.
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 08:01 PM

Ouch.. now I didn't bash you at all.. I respect your faith and I don't insult you for it. Now I do find it disrespectful when people try to push their religion on me. ( don't say it doesn't happen because it happens to me all the time) and it hurts the mind heart and soul when people of other religions have the nerve to say I worship the devil. Which sadly people still think is true. But saying why you choose not to be a specific religion I do not find is attacking someone or someone's religion. And they even stated that there are SO mant posts as to why you are this religion or that religion. So I could understand them posting one as to why you were not said religion
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    ouch.. now i didnt bash you at all.. i respect your faith and i dont insult you for it. now i do find it disrespectful when people try to push their religion on me. ( dont say it doesnt happen because it happens to me all the time) and it hurts the mind heart and soul when people of other religions have the nerve to say i worship the devil. which sadly people still think is true. but saying why you choose not to be a specific religion i do not find is attacking someone or someones religion. and they even stated that there are SO mant posts as to why you are this religion or that religion. so i could understand them posting one as to why you were not said religion
    I agree completely, The original poster has every right to post and state and tell about his reasons for not belonging to a certain religion or denomination. There is no attack in this question and be fair to all sides, it does always seem to be one sided most of the time. Has every right to make a thread like this like a lot of other people make threads about their religion and why it is so right for them and everyone else. Yuck..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Catholic belief [ 46 Answers ]

Hello, Could you please inform me of Catholic beliefs, and how the differ from Christian belief? Thank You! browneyedfaith:)

My reasons for being a Catholic [ 28 Answers ]

I am convinced that the Catholic Church conforms much more closely to all of the biblical data, offers the only coherent view of the history of Christianity (i.e. Christian, apostolic Tradition), and possesses the most profound and sublime Christian morality, spirituality, social ethic, and...

A Catholic ? [ 3 Answers ]

What does it mean to be a Catholic?”

Catholic Confirmation [ 5 Answers ]

What will you have to do during Confirmation class and being Confirmed? And can your sponsors be relatives?

Catholic Belief [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this site, but I have had something bothering me, and I am trying to find some answers... We had a Chathlic Gentlemen to visit us the other day, and my niece goes with him and he called her his... he said that is what the Catholics believed and his children are Bastards......

View more questions Search