Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Altlangl22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 09:36 PM
    How can my husband adopt my son
    I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. Please help me.
    tinkerbell77 Posts: 96, Reputation: 6

Nov 30, 2006, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altlangl22
    I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. Please help me.
    First, The bio dad has to sign his rights over. IF Bio dad is OK with that, it's really simple but you may need a lawyer to help with the paper work. If Bio dad won't sign over it get's more difficult.
    If you don't know where Bio dad is, then you petition the courts to takes his rights away due to the possible adoption. Then you have to put something in the paper in the last known city he lived in for so many days. I would speak to a lawyer to get the details, but this is what I've found from a friend of mine who's husband adopted her oldest son.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 09:46 AM
    You hire an attorney, they will serve notice on the bio dad, he will be asked to give up any and all rights to the baby, and any obligation, such as child support)

Once that is signed, your new husband can adopt the infant, the attorney normally has it all ready to happen as soon as the bio dad signs rights over
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 09:03 AM
    File a motion with the local Family Court. You'll need to show proof that you've made every good faith effort to contact the biological father. After the prescribed waiting time, the adoption should be able to proceed without the father's consent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt [ 15 Answers ]

I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father is not around? [ 13 Answers ]

I live with my husband and I have my daughter,which is not his biologically,but I also have a son that is his,so I was wondering if it is that he could adopt her without the father's consent,keeping in mind that her father is nowhere to be found.

Husband to adopt [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I aren't married yet, in August we are getting married, I have a son, he has a son and we are having a baby in June. We are concerned that my son will be confused that everyone has the same last name but him. Granted, his father has only seen him maybe 5 times in two years, I have...

Must he adopt his own child [ 3 Answers ]

Looking for information on Tn. Law when a man is married to one woman and is having a baby with another woman, must he adopt his own child

Looking to adopt... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Interested in finding information regarding domestic and international adoptions in Massachusetts. Do anyone have any recommendations on where to start? Thanks, Remodel

View more questions Search