Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phyllis72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 08:57 PM
    Methane?sewage odor
    Hi
    I'm new here. I have a methane/sewage smell in my utility room. This room has my water heater and furnace as well as my washer/dryer. I usually smell this odor when my furnace comes on. The furnace is sitting on a metal box and when I smell under the box when the furnace is on I am able to tell that the smell is originating from beneath the box. Please help me. What is causing this smell? I also have little black moth like flying bugs around the house. Please help.

Thanks
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 25, 2006, 09:17 PM
    There is probobly a hole somewhere in your waste line.

The furnace is most likley pulling the odor to it via its air return. The culprit pipe could also be close to the furnace.

These bugs you are talking about I have seen to, however I have only seem them around an open sewer line, or vent stack on a roof. They literally look like baby flies, no?

I would get this fixed ASAP, the sewer gas could have methane gas present in it, this is a flammible gas, the pilot in your furnace or water heater could ignite the gas, then you have a real disaster on your hands.

If I were you, I would turn the furnace off, extingush all pilots and open flames. Without the furnace running, close off any possible draft to the house and sniff around, try to find the source. Check toilets, your washing machine drain, utility sink, etc...

The other possibility is a dead critter somewhere. Maybe down in the air return of the furnace. But always look for the worst until you find the answer. You don't want to take comfort thinking it's a dead critter while having methane gas building up in your house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage odor [ 1 Answers ]

In the last few weeks, there's a sewage odor from the crawl space beneath our house that has got progressively worse. I tried to crawl under but due to health problems I couldn't get to the back of the house. Now I live in Los angeles, so I know it's not a septic tank issue. I'm afraid to call a...

Basement Sewage odor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Sorry if my question is redundant, but I searched the posts and couldn't quite find one that met the same situation I have encountered. My wife and I recently bought a home that was built 3 years ago. It has 3 bathrooms, one being in the basement. The problem we have noticed is a...

Sewage odor inside of the walls [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Sorry if this was covered already, but I have a “mysterious” smell problem. :eek: We recently had our leach field replaced and tank pumped. Since then a sewage odor occurs near the downstair bathroom in the basement, but also travels up the walls into the 2nd floor bedroom and basement and...

Sewage Odor Throughout House [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I found this site by accident and am hopeful someone can give me advice. We are experiencing a sewage type odor throughout the house whenever water is turned on. I believe it happens when it is traveling through the pipes, hopefully not under my home. It ONLY happens when water is used....

Sewage odor in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We had just moved into a condo and are located on the 3rd floor. We now find that there is a sewage smell in the main bathroom every day. How can we find out what can possible be causing this? We also notice that the water in the bathroom toilet appears to have water flowing back and forth...

View more questions Search