Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 11:50 AM
    Toilet leaked.. do I need to replace subfloor?
    Hi everyone,

My toilet leaked approx 5 years ago. I replaced the wax ring but never took the linoleum up to see what was going on under there. I noticed the leak 5 years ago because it had saturated the subfloor and was dripping in the basement. Anyhow, after the wax ring was replaced.. no more leak. I am now getting ready to tile, and put hardibacker down and I noticed this. Does the damaged subfloor need to be replaced? Or can I squirt some bleach to inhibit mold growth and put down the hardibacker?

Thanks
    BM

PatcyMcn Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2010, 01:15 PM

See if the wood is loose or soft with a screwdriver. If it feels as "hard" as the undamaged area, you are probably fine leaving it alone.
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 18, 2010, 03:35 AM

If it was lino then I would take up the luan and check the subfloor under it. If you are adding hardibacker it makes sense to check now rather than chance a fix later
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 08:39 AM
    It was solid enough it still held screws. Also, the flange was not loose or wobbly. I put the hardibacker down and tiled it.. if it hadn't rotted in 5 years, I imagine it can go a few more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CV Boot Leaked Grease. Replace or Repack? [ 4 Answers ]

The CV Boot on my left rear axle leaked out most of the grease. Can the boot be repacked and will the seal hold or does the boot need to be replaced?

Where to cut toilet pipe for new subfloor patch [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everyone, A few months ago we had some water damage from a leaky toilet. I decided I would pull up the linoleum since it had water damage and put some new stuff down. As I pulled up I found there was mold and significant damage to the sub-floor. We had a 2-week old baby at the time...

How do I install a new toilet (closet) flange over subfloor? [ 10 Answers ]

First off, please forgive me if I don't get the terminology correct. I am decent at home repair but have no real training other than trial and error. I'm trying to re-do my kids' bathroom, which has not been updated since the house was built. I removed the old tile floor and mortar bed and...

Toilet floor flange is now level with new subfloor [ 6 Answers ]

If we subfloor our bathroom with 1/4 inch it will make the toilet flange level with the subfloor. Should we be removing the flange and raising it with the floor?

Subfloor and my toilet [ 4 Answers ]

We are remodeling our 5x8 bathroom and extending it into an old mud room on the back of the house. Right now the toilet sits within the 5x8 space, but will be moved directly back into the 40" wide mudroom (about 3-4ft). I have easy access to all the piping from the basement which is unfinished...

View more questions Search