Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Feb 17, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Using a Dimmer Knob as a Volume Knob
    Hello,

I'm doing an pretty basic install in my friend's movie theatre. I need to run two ceiling speakers into the lobby.

The amplifier is upstairs, which will be left at a reasonably high level, then I'd like the staff at the concession stand to be able to reduce that volume with a volume knob downstairs.

Trying to think of simplicity (mounting in a standard electrical box) and price, could I use a standard lighting rotary dimmer switch/knob to adjust the volume of the speakers? (I know it won't amplify, it will only attenuate).

It's the same principle, right? But I'm not sure since they are designed for higher voltage/amperage if it will cause any problems.

Thanks for your help.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 11:36 AM
    What you need is available at Radio Shack. It allows you to lower the volume without changing the impedance. A dimmer will most likely overload the amplifier and create a possible failure of the equipment

Feb 17, 2010, 12:21 PM
    Hi Missouri Bound,

Thanks for your answer. I figured that there might be some sort of issue with impedance, just wasn't sure how. I actually just stopped by a RadioShack and saw what I think you are talking about - that's probably the route I'll go. Not to mention it mounts nicely with the wall plate and everything.

Thanks for your help!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 01:23 PM

What you need is called an L-Pad. You can find them online. You will need it to be the appropriate wattage and voltage for your amplifier.

A dimmer switch will not work. I worry about you doing an install in a commercial environment if you do not know the difference between a dimmer and an L-Pad.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 01:25 PM
    I forgot to mention, it also needs to be matched to the impedance of the amplifier.

So, we need to know the wattage and impedance of your amplifier, and if it is a standard (25v) or 70v system.

In case you're not aware, the combined imedance of ALL the speakers on the same amplifier channel must match the impedance of your amp.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 01:26 PM
    l-pad - Google Product Search

Feb 17, 2010, 05:56 PM

ceilingfanrepair,

That's why I asked first. So I don't do something stupid :) Just trying to help a friend out. I do television engineering for a living, not sound stuff - though I'm trying to increase my knowledge in that field, since it's just as important.

I do appreciate your link and information - that may be useful in future projects! But for now, I'll probably stick with the RadioShack deal, since it's pretty much an L-pad built into a nice wall plate.

Thanks for your information.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 10:49 PM

I know the one you speak of. You may be able to find it cheaper online.

Just make sure all the wattages, voltages, and impedances match up (or err in the correct direction) or you will fry something.

Feb 17, 2010, 11:27 PM

Ah yes, quite true. Thank you for your concern and for helping me to avoid blowing something up! Have a good night/day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The knob. [ 2 Answers ]

A woman saw a plastic surgeon for a facelift. She was older, with plenty of money so was offered a new type of therapy. Her doctor referred to it as "The Kob." After it was installed at the back of her head, she simply gave it a twist whenever she needed to tighten and smooth her face. After...

Diverter knob [ 1 Answers ]

How can I put my diverter knob back on? My sister was taking a shower and she made a mistake and pulled it up to hard. So is there any way u can give me step by step instructions putting it back on?:mad:

The Knob [ 5 Answers ]

A woman visited her plastic surgeon who told her About a new procedure called "The Knob," where A small knob is placed at the top of the woman's Head and could be turned to tighten up her skin And produce the effect of a brand new face-lift. Of course, the woman wanted "The Knob."...

Shower knob [ 1 Answers ]

How do I disassemble a shower knob

Diverter knob won't come off [ 3 Answers ]

My shower diverter quit working this morning. (I gave it the tiniest bit of additional torque this morning and now it is diverting only a trickle.) It is the middle knob variety and is probably a Stirling. The diverter assembly hasn't been touched since I bought the house in 1989. I decided...

View more questions Search