Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhondapitts0921 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 02:51 AM
    Can receiving ssi affect your child support payments?
    I am currently paying 500.00 a month for child support for my disable 16 years old daughter. Her mother is also receiving ssi every month for her also. The mother is now trying to take me back to court for an increase in child support. Can my child support payments be lowered now that I have learned that she receive ssi for the child?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 05:33 AM

No, support is based upon your income, not other money the child should be receiving from other sourses..

Feb 17, 2010, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    no, support is based upon your income, not other money the child should be recieving from other sourses..
    So the ssi payment won't be affected.I thought they cut the ssi payment if the child is receiving child support?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 08:01 AM

Okay first the child is not receiving the child support the custodial parent is the one receiving the support to help in their cost of raising the child. For how long has she been getting SSI payments? Did they start before or after you were ordered and started to pay support? If the SSI payments started before you were ordered and started to pay support then there is a chance that the SSI payments could be lowered but not the support you have to pay. Support is based on your income as well as other factors but your income is one of the major factors. SSI is a form of welfare so if anything goes down that will not your support. Unless of course you have had a substantial decrease in income since support was calculated.

Feb 17, 2010, 08:08 AM
    My rights as a father
    I live in the state of Georgia. My daughter is disable and is almost 17 years old. I pay child support faithful. When the child is 18 will the child support order stop or can the mother find some way to keep me paying? I love my daughter and want her to come live with me but I work for the railroad and be gone a lot and that's why I was never granted custody of her. What are my rights as the father? I want to keep taking care of her but don't want to give the money to her mother because she's not taking good care of her now. I have complained about her but I'm told the only rights I have is to pay(the child support). It breaks my heart to know that I am paying 500.00 a month and she receive ssi payments and her mother has her looking so bad. What can I do? Her mother is asking for a increase in payments but it looks like she isn't doing anything with what she is already receiving. What can I do? I love my child but I don't want to give her mother any more money. I go by and take her shopping when I'm home. What can I do?

Feb 17, 2010, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    okay first the child is not recieving the child support the custodial parent is the one recieving the support to help in their cost of raising the child. For how long has she been getting ssi payments? Did they start before or after you were ordered and started to pay support? If the ssi payments started before you were ordered and started to pay support then there is a chance that the ssi payments could be lowered but not the support you have to pay. Support is based on your income as well as other factors but your income is one of the major factors. Ssi is a form of welfare so if anything goes down that will not your support. Unless of course you have had a substantial decrease in income since support was calculated.
    She was receiving it before. I don't mind paying for my child. She said that I could get her if she could still get the ssi payments and child support. She let my mother have her once because she agree to it but some of her people turned her in and she came back and get our child saying she couldn't lose her money. Should I play her game just to be able to take care of my little girl or hire an attroney and fight for her. She is going to be 17 this year and has down syndome and will need someone to continue to provide for her once she is grown. Can she make the decision to live with me or my mother once she is 18 or will I have to fight for her?

Feb 17, 2010, 08:35 AM
    What rights do I have?
    I live in Mississippi. Six years ago,this woman brought her child to live with me. It was supposed to be for the summer but it has been six years now. She reside in Wisconsin. Can I apply for custody of the child? She hasn't contribute toward her care and has seen her only once in six years. Her father hasn't either. I have put them on child support but haven't received anything yet. Can I now apply for guardship or full custody? The reason she brought her to me was because her mother wouldn't tell the police that her father beat up her sister so they charged her with indangering the child and the father had a no contact order placed against him for her when she was 2 years old. What are my options now?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 08:58 AM

You need an Attorney - there apparently already was some type of Court proceeding if you were awarded child support (even though it has not been paid).

Sounds like you saved this child from a nightmare situation - if you cannot afford a private Attorney there is a very good possibility that the Court will appointed someone to represent the child (and, ultimately, you).

You have to make this arrangement legal.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 09:01 AM

I have asked that all of your questions be combined - I cannot tell if you are the mother or the father or exactly what the situation is. Each post contains a little more info.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 17, 2010, 09:05 AM
    >Threads Merged<

Would the OP please explain the inconstancies in their posts.
    gbarley8914 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 05:12 PM
    My husband and I live in MO. His son is disabled with Bi Polar and Aspergers. He is almost 20 and getting SSI. Will child support ever end? He is physically able to work.
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2012, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gbarley8914 View Post
    My husband and I live in MO. His son is disabled with Bi Polar and Aspergers. He is almost 20 and getting SSI. Will child support ever end? He is physically able to work.

It's possible it will never end if the boy is classified as special needs. Your husband COULD go back to Court and attempt to amend the order.
    jazminliz1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 11:44 AM
    I receive ssi from my two sons well I also receive child support for one of my boys . I do have four kids and I am a single mother can they stop or lower my ssi because I receive child support?
    DirtShark Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2013, 12:56 PM
    I pay child support to my 2 girls, just found out that they are also receiving ssi benefits? Is it allow for them to receiving ssi benefits?
    DirtShark Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2013, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rhondapitts0921 View Post
    So the ssi payment won't be affected.I thought they cut the ssi payment if the child is receiving child support?
    Yes correct, I'm currently paying $666 a month for my 2 daughters. SSI that they receiving before court ordered start child support, was stopped right away!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child. [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...

Child suport take payments from me I am on ssi social security [ 3 Answers ]

I am on ssi I get just enough to pay rent and child suport saya I owe them can they take it out of my social security ssi monthly check

Child Support for adult child receiving SSI [ 5 Answers ]

My divorce decree states that my child support continues until graduation or age 19, whichever comes first. My son had seizures when he was a baby and was on medication until age 10. After our divorce the ex managed to enable him to get SSI payments. He has recently turned 18 and I know she is...

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

View more questions Search