Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Feb 16, 2010, 08:45 PM
    Swapping hard drives from Lap Top to Lap top
    Thanks to this forum, we have declared my hard drive on our Dell laptop corrupt. We have another Dell LAptop that has a good hard drive but the monitor hinge part is broken and it just flops around. I was wondering if we could take out the hard drive from the broken screen one and put it in the lap top that has a corrupt hard drive?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 16, 2010, 09:03 PM

I did that very thing a few months ago. No problems at all. My laptops were identical models, though. Your mileage may vary.

My recommedation:

1) Backup all your data
    2) Install the working drive in the working laptop
    3) Use the Recovery Disks you made when you first got your laptop to Factory Restore your laptop... good as new.
    4) Reinstall your data and programs

Take this opportunity to maximize the memory in the laptop. It really makes a difference.

NOTE: After you make Recovery Disks for your laptop, you could actually put a HUGE replacement drive in. For my laptop that had a 60gb hard drive die recently, I bought a 250gb replacement online for $50, installed it, used the Recovery Disks to reinstall the laptop back to factory settings and she's good as new!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lap top charger. [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a lap top about 8 months ago and its been a decent computer but not there is a big issue. The computer will only stay on when the thing is pluged in... kinda ruins the mobile computer thing.

Lap top [ 5 Answers ]

How can I un look my ibm thinkpad t20

Can I back up my desk top onto my lap top? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a desk top and a lap top which have wireless connection to the internet. My lap top has no ethernet port and my desk top has no infra red. Can you suggest how I can use my lap top to back up my desk top? Would USB to USB work?

Lap top help [ 7 Answers ]

I got this lap top for Christmas and need someone to check it over. I am sending all the info about it. It is "slow". And the username is not mine--how do I change that? What can I put in it to go faster---or take out? Gloria ...

View more questions Search