Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sessely4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 07:12 PM
    I owe a contractor $2200 I am paying $100 monthly can he sue me?
    I have paid a contractor $4000 but still owe $2200 I have fallen on hard times and have offered to pay $100 a month. He has begun calling me every day so I asked him to cease and desist. Now he is taking me to small claims court. Can he put a lien on my business even though I only lease the location and can he come in and remove the work that he has done. I am in Ohio.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 02:19 AM
    Hi, sessely4!

Did you have a signed contract with him for the work that he performed? Also, do you have an attorney?

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 05:37 AM

First unless he agreed to accept 100 a month, yes he may sue you. He is not obligated to accept any payment plan. So unless he agrees to accept it, he may sue you. Now if you keep sending the 100 dollars, when you go to court, you show this to the judge, sometimes ( not near always) the judge may grant the judgement, but accept your payment plan and order him to accept it. Again don't expect it to happen, but it does work sometimes.

If you are a corporation and it hired him, he can only sue the assests of the corporation, if you are not, he sues you personally.

As to what he can get and take will differ in the US by state
    CommercialClean Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 10:44 PM

He can get a judgement against you and your business. However, in Ohio judgements are nearly useless. First thing I would do is go down to the court and ask them to put your $100 in escrow until this is sorted out. Continue to put money into the escrow on a regular basis.
    In the end, no, usually he can not come into your shop and remove his work.
    I would consult a lawyer however.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a friend sue you for money you owe them without legal agreement [ 3 Answers ]

I had just gone through a divorce and lost my job in 2006. While trying to sell my house so I could move I became involved with someone. After 6 mo. Her apt. lease came do. We decided that she would move in and help with the mortgage by paying rent until the house sold. I could not land a job that...

Will clients mind paying monthly for cleaning services [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small business with regular clients. I was thinking on starting to charge a few of them on a monthly basis instead of each visit. I was thinking the clients that have had a cleaner for years and money is not an issue would be OK with this. I find it hard to manage my money and pay bills at...

Paying taxes as independent contractor [ 3 Answers ]

I am being paid as an independent contractor. I know I'll get a 1099 and I'm not making more than $15,000 this year. How do I pay the SS taxes? I know I'll pay witholding on my 1040 but not sure on SS. I believe I should save back about 25% for withholding. What else do I need to do.

View more questions Search