Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maheshjain21 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 05:37 PM
    H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa?
    Hi,
    I am on H1 Visa and my spouse is on H4 (dependent) Visa, my question is can I clain her as a dependent while filing the Tax return. She already got ITIN number.
    I am trying file taxes online but none of the website is giving 'Spouse/Wife' as dependent option. Please expain me the total procedure.
    Thanks,
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 07:10 PM

You can file joint return as residents. You will get standard deduction of $11,400 and exemptions ($3,650 each) for both of you.

You must both declare your worldwide income for 2009.

You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouse and attach with your tax return. H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas

File state tax return only after you get ITIN. Make sure to pay any tax due on or before April 15, 2010. If needed, file for extension.
    Maheshjain21 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 05:15 PM
    Hi,
    Thanks for the response.
    Can you tell me what is Standard deduction?
    Can't I claim her as a dependent?

My wife already got ITIN number.

Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    You can file joint return as residents. You will get standard deduction of $11,400 and exemptions ($3,650 each) for both of you.

You must both declare your worldwide income for 2009.

You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouse and attach with your tax return. H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas

File state tax return only after you get ITIN. Make sure to pay any tax due on or before April 15, 2010. If needed, file for extension.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 06:23 AM

When did you enter the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 visa holder can be dependent? [ 1 Answers ]

I have F1 visa. My brother pays my tuition fee. Can I be his dependent? Thanks for your reply

TN visa holder -- Dependent Type [ 1 Answers ]

I was a TN visa holder worked in US in 2008 for 9 months. My wife and 2 kids were in Canada for whole 2008. I was back to Canada family for most of the weekend. I am trying to file tax as 'married filing seperately'. What type of dependent type should I choose for kids? "Not a dependent this...

Claiming a visitor visa holder (B2) as dependent for taxes. [ 4 Answers ]

My father visited the US two times in 2008 on B2 (visitor visa) amounting his total stay to more then 180 days. I am the sponsor (I-134) for his visits. Can get a ITIN for him by filing the W7. I am currently a H1B visa holder and filing as married jointly with my wife who is also a H1B holder. I...

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. Can I claim her as a Dependent while filing for the tax return. Do I have to apply for ITIN? Please explain the procedure. Thanks

View more questions Search