Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ginette5 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 04:39 PM
    Hubby's prim resi SC & retired... wife prim in MA & currently employed... tax payments
    As of 2/26/10 My husband's primary residence will be SC (he's retired)... I still work in MA and have property here... How will we handle the state taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 07:09 AM

Assuming that from Jan 1 2010 to Feb 26 2010 your husband's residence is MA: for 2010 you can each file as Married Filing Separate for your MA tax return - even though you may be filing as Married Filing Jointly on your federal return (MA does NOT require that you use the same filing status on your federal return). Your husband files a part-year return for MA, reporting only his income during the period he resided in MA, and also a part-year resident return in SC. You file a full-year resident return in MA. Then in 2011 and later your husband files only in SC - he uses SC1040 and attaches schedule NR (so that your incme is excluded from SC taxes).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My hubby's in the army & we are going overseas Baby's real dad not on because Can he stop us? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is not the father of my child but was there for his birth & signed the birth certificate & is supporting him. The baby was born in NC & I live in OH. I was told the birth certificate can't be changed since it's an out of state because. The biological father is asking for a bargian. He...

Tax filing status when wife & Kids are in India [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Thank you for your time in advance. I came to US on L1 in March 2008 and then converted to H1 from Oct 2008. I am still in US. My wife and kids are in India and never been to US in 2008. We came to US in 2006 and went back to India in 2007. My wife got EAD and SSN in 2006. Please let...

How does 401k withdrawal for prim. Residence playing into equitable distribution? [ 3 Answers ]

Working through mediation in divorce process in NJ. In order to figure out equitable distribution, does anyone know how an old 401k withdrawal made shortly after marriage to pay for a primary residence play into the equation? Is it even considered; is the whole amount or just the net used toward...

If ones wife mentally tortures her husband & her in-laws what & how one should move [ 2 Answers ]

If ones wife mentally tortures her husband & her in-laws and one is keeping quite for the sake of child & social implications. Now how one should move??

Dad's will & leaving all to me & not wife or brother [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: My dad recently has his attorney draw up his will & made provisions to leave everything, (house & all), to only me, his daughter. He specifically declares in the will that his current wife,(my stepmother), or my older brother, (dad's only other child), are NOT to receive anything. He...

View more questions Search