Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jagadeeshan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 11:22 PM
    Is it true that single phase motor takes more current than a 3 phase motor, if so why
    A single phase air conditioner takes 8 amps, while the same with 3 phase takes only 3 amps, the billing is finally for the amps consumed right, so why not only 3 phase.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 12:31 PM
    The billing is usually in watts. A three phase that uses only 3 amps isn't necessarily more efficient, than a single phase that uses 8 amps.

For three phase you can calculate by the following:

.208 kV * 3 A * √3 = 1.08 kVA

If you have to account for PF correction, then that will affect your wattage say up to 15% difference.

For single phase you will find it looks something like this:

8A * .120kV = 0.96 kVA.

It seems to me that you will be billed for less wattage with single phase than three phase, on top of that in some cases you have to pay additional fees for a three phase hook up, and sometimes in residential situations, they charge extra per KWH for three phase power.

The difference lies in how three and single phase work. With three phase you're getting power from three different lines, propelling the motor every third turn. This usually makes three phase more efficient, especially when you need powerful motors. Single phase either uses brush-less (which consumes slightly more) or is only able to propel it every half, or single turn. This means to get the same power it has to push harder more often.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 12:33 PM

The harder a motor needs to be pushed, the more amps it consumes... a 120v single phase needs to draw more amps to achieve the same amount of torque a 208v three phase motor requires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I replace a 3p motor with a single phase motor. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a holly- matic 3 phase 7.5 horse meat grinder- mixer. I do not have 3 phase, can I change the motor to a 7.5 horse single phase 220 motor? Thanks. Tom

What is the difference between single phase and three phase motor [ 1 Answers ]

Why we use a capacitor in single phase but not in three phase motor?

What is the difference between single phase and three phase motor [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between single phase and three phase motor

Changing out 3-phase motor for single Phase [ 1 Answers ]

Besides matching the mounts & drives, are there wiring/switching issues changing out a 220-3phase for 220-S-Phase. I am interested in switching motors in a commercial diswasher.

Single phase motor [ 1 Answers ]

A washing machine is driven by a single phase fractional motor. What makes it run reverse foreword?

View more questions Search