Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluelite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 07:49 PM
    How to replace the Ignition Lock Cylinder on a 97 avalon
    I see your answer on how to replace the Ignition Lock Cylinder on a 97 avalon is it the same for a 95? I'm not a mechanic but pretty good with my hands and comfortable enough. Is this something I can do on my own or do I have to take to a dealer? My key will not turn past the lock position. I'm not sure if it's the key or the switch. I can however unlock the steering wheel. Any ideas? And anyone know of any step by step videos out there or online manuals? Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2010, 08:04 PM

I don't have direct experience with your car; however, this link on replacing the steering lock mechanism on Hondas may still help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224842

Before doing anything else, I would try another key. I would also spray the locking mechanism with WD-40. GM recommends this product on locks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 Toyota Avalon Key Cylinder Replacement [ 3 Answers ]

How do I remove my key cylinder for a 97 Toyota Avalon?

How much does it cost to replace the toyota avalon ignition cylinder? [ 4 Answers ]

I have tried jiggling the steering wheel, turning the steering wheel forcefully each side, overriding the transmission to change the gears, spraying WD 40 into the cylinder, and lightly tapping the cylinder with a hammer. Anything else I can do, or does the dealer have to fix it? And if so, how...

'81 accord Ignition lock cylinder [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a replacement ignition lock cylinder for my '81 accord and was reading the instructions on how to change it out with the old one. Anyway, it said to insert the key and turn to the 'ON' position in order to line up the roll pin to disengage the old lock. If I had the key to turn the lock,...

1990 honda civic ignition lock cylinder [ 2 Answers ]

Trying to change out an ignition lock cylinder on a 1990 honda civic-standard. Help me in getting it out. >Moved from Forum Help<

Key won't turn after installing new ignition lock cylinder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I own a 1996 honda hatchback. My car required a new ignition lock cylinder. I ordered one off line and went about replacing it. I managed to get it installed. But my problem is after I connect the ignition switch to my new ignition lock cylinder my car won't allow me to turn my key all...

View more questions Search