Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andriean Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 01:36 PM
    Windows Live Messenger
    I disabled Windows Live Messenger from starting when I log onto windows under the toolbar, but I still get popups from Windows Messenger on my taskbar. How do I stop this from happening?
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 15, 2010, 11:53 PM

Do you have XP?

You can go to Run and type:
    Msconfig.exe
    Click on the startup tab
    Uncheck the windows messenger box

It won't run at startup anymore.

Feb 16, 2010, 02:43 PM

I have Windows 7 which also uses the msconfig utility. I unchecked it there but some portion of must still run in the background, so I get that popup.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2010, 02:49 PM

Check your processes to see what is running when this is present.

Ctrl++alt+del and check processes tab to hopefully see what is running and which may be causing the start.

You did uncheck the option in messenger program itself to not start with windows, correct?

Feb 17, 2010, 02:19 PM

Ok, the problem is occurring now as I am typing. The icon for windows messenger (Windows Messenger is Offline) is on my taskbar.

I opened task manager and I don't see any program in there that says windows live messenger.
    I disabled Windows Live Messenger from starting when I log onto windows under the toolbar

Feb 17, 2010, 02:24 PM
    I found the process. It's msnmsngr.exe but it still runs even after disabling it from starting when I log onto windows. It will eventually open itself.
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 17, 2010, 02:56 PM

Maybe you can just remove it if you don't want it, in the Add/Remove Programs.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 03:01 PM

How to Disable and Stop Windows Live Messenger from Loading at Startup Automatically (Auto Start) My Digital Life

1 - Open Messenger. Tap the Alt key on your keyboard to show the menu, then choose Tools > Options.
    2 - Click Sign-In section on the left, then un-check the "Automatically start messenger when I log in" option and the "Allow automatic-sign-in" options.

Feb 18, 2010, 02:00 AM

Yeah, I told you. I've already done that.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 11:35 AM

After unchecking what you have already unchecked see if these are also unchecked

Now at this point you'll see that Messenger may still remembers who you are, AND remembers your password. So UNcheck: Remember Me, Remember my Password and Sign me in automatically.

At this point you should also click on "Forget me".

Feb 18, 2010, 05:45 PM

I think the problem is that it is integrated with Internet Explorer 8, so I went to Tools, Manage-Add-ons, and disabled Windows Sign-in Control, Windows Live, and Windows Live Toolbar. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 11:45 PM

I was thinking about that next and was going to suggest to go that way but hopefully that will do it for you.

Feb 22, 2010, 03:01 PM

Just so you know, what I did worked. So if anyone else has the same problem in the furture, you will know how to fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows live messenger [ 2 Answers ]

Thank's for this service it will be very hlepful for me this is the first time I use this site. My Q is : How can I know if there is some one blocking me on Windows Live Messenger he/she can see my Statu but I can't see them. Thank you

Can't sign in to Windows Live Messenger [ 7 Answers ]

I have not been able to sign in to Windows Live Messenger for 2 days (it is critical for my job to be able to communicate with others overseas). I keep getting the following error message: "Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try...

Windows live messenger [ 1 Answers ]

How do you fix error code: 81000306 in windows live messenger

View more questions Search