Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minipin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 01:14 PM
    My Landlord Won't Give Me My Deposit Back I singed a contact in October 2008 for six
    I have rented a property from October 2008 for six months since then I have continued living and paying rent in the property with no further contract as when I asked for one was told it is a rolling rent now I want my deposit back to move and the original agent that I pay the rent to and who took my deposit say that all they do now is collect the rent what can I do
    teffie18 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2010, 01:33 PM

Usually you have to give a 30 day notice of intent to move. Then, after you move out... they inspect the place. Then they have 2 weeks to give you your deposit. (minus anything they feel they need to repair anything). If you disagree you can go to small claims court. BE sure to take photos of the way you left the property. Every single room. This happened to me. I went to court and got my deposit back. It took a year but I won.
    minipin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 02:58 AM
    Thanks for your help
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2010, 03:20 AM

You don't get your deposit back until after you vacate and the landlord can do an inspection. You do need to find out who the landlord is.

After you move out the landlord has a time limit by which he must return the full deposit or an itemized statement of how the deposit was used. This time limit is generally at least 21 days and often as much as 30 days. I've never seen as little as two weeks.

If the landlord does not provide the list or the deposit within the time frame for your area, they generally forfeit the right to use any part of the deposit. You will have to take them to court, generally small claims court, to sue them. Some states allow you to collect double or triple the amount owed in punitive damages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord will not return deposit and will not give itemized list of how it was spent [ 8 Answers ]

Our landlord gave us 30 days notice after we lived there for 2 years (one year lease and then one year month to month). I had 2 major reconstructive back surgeries and have been deemed by the State of California as permanently disabled since the time we moved in. He gave us a 30 day notice one...

How many days notice do you have to give in order to get your deposit back [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I rented a 3 bedroom house in ellsworth Kansas and I was not on the lease we got into a fight and broke up and the landlord didn't like me so since I was not on the lease she gave me 2 days to get all of my stuff and move out. I also have two small children ages 1 and 2 so I had...

My landlord doesn't want to give me back my deposit [ 7 Answers ]

The landlord is in the middle of divorce' process and they decided to sell the house, but he said that his ex-wife should pay the deposit because she was the agent who made the rental agreement because she used to work as a real state but not anymore, she said that he said that she is not in charge...

My Landlord is procrastinating on giving me my sec deposit back! [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out on March 9th, and I have been calling my landlord to see when she would be sendinf my security deposit. She wasn't answering the phone at first, so I left her messages over the course of a week or so, she never returned my calls. I called her this morning and se finally answered the...

Landlord not paying back security deposit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All. I have been renting a commercial building in Toronto, Ontario. Earlier in the year, my landlord sold the place with my lease to this new landlord. And last month, we have moved out since it's the end of term for our lease. I've paid all my rent and fulfill all my obligations. But this new...

View more questions Search