Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    askmeDC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 09:01 AM
    Why does my downstairs bathroom sink get water in it when I use my upstairs bathroom
    The sink in my downstairs bathroom backs up with water whenever I flush my upstairs bathroom toilet or run the water in its sink. The back up water is dirty and has debri in it. I tried clearing the drain in the downstairs sink from any hair or what have you and I tried some sort of liquid plumber,but it's still happening. What is the reason for this and is there anything I could do to fix it without having to spend money I don't have on a plumber?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 15, 2010, 05:41 PM

You have a blockage that's below the downstairs lavatory. This can be snaked from the lavatory roof vent.
    Put out enough cable to reach the base and 20 feet more. Good luck, Tom
    JESTENJERREAU Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 01:07 AM
    The water comes from the bottom of your house, & if there is a little clog in the sink down stairs than it will fill up when you use the one upstairs. Try to cut off the sink downstairs to see if the water builds if not try drain-o down the upstairs sink while downstairs is cut off (with the knob under the downstairs to stop the water from coming out or the outside knob to shut off all the water in the house, just for the drain-o to get the hair or dropped jewelry to flush out. Hate when that happens). Good luck hope it works for you.
    JESTENJERREAU Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 01:19 AM
    The water comes from the bottom of your house, & if there is a little clog in the sink down stairs than it will fill up when you use the one upstairs. Try to cut off the sink downstairs to see if the water builds if not try drain-o down the upstairs sink while downstairs is cut off (with the knob under the downstairs to stop the water from coming out or the outside knob to shut off all the water in the house, just for the drain-o to get the hair or dropped jewelry to flush out. Hate when that happens). Good luck hope it works for you.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2011, 03:33 PM

Hi Jestenjerreau

You said, "The water comes from the bottom of your house, & if there is a little clog in the sink down stairs than it will fill up when you use the one upstairs". Simply put, this statement doesn't make sense at all.

Further, Speedball's advice above is the better answer to the original question. Draino is nothing but a quick fix... best solution is to snake the drain. In fact, it sounds like the main drain is blocked in this case (toilet water from upstairs coming out sink in basement).

You may also want to look at the dates of questions you answer, as, for example, this post which is from 2010... ;)

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upstairs and downstairs bathroom outlets not working [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed the one outlet in my upstairs bathroom stopped working. I thought it was just the actual outlet and planned on replacing it. However, I then noticed that the downstairs bathroom outlet is also not working. Lights in each bathroom work but only the outlets are not working. The...

Water backs up into downstairs bathroom sink. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello HELP! My situation is... water backs up into downstairs bathroom sink apparently after the upstairs shower has been used which is directly above the downstairs bathroom. Our house is around 40 years old. We have had people there before and opened up the wall on either side of the...

Upstairs Bathroom Sink - Cold water tab runs very warm for first 30 seconds. [ 14 Answers ]

I do not know much about plumbing. I live in the USA. I have a 60 gallon gas water heater. My problem started maybe a month or two ago. In the bathroom sink of my home's second story the cold water in the sink will run very warm (almost hot) for the first 30 seconds. After that it goes back to...

No running COLD water upstairs in bathroom sink/bath [ 1 Answers ]

I have NO cold running water coming out of bathroom taps . The hot is running fine. This just happened all of a sudden with no cause I can think of. I have both cold and hot water downstairs running fine. The bathroom is upstairs. Can you help me Thanks .

Sputtering water in upstairs bathroom sink [ 3 Answers ]

Every now and then my upstairs sink, bathtub and toilet will sputter when the water flows. Cold or hot, doesn't matter. It acts as if I had turned off the main and opened a valve and allowed air in the system, which of course I haven't. I've looked everywhere for leaks, but even if there was a...

View more questions Search