Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albany22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Can Garnishment from credit card debt freeze bank account or income taxes
    I Have a garnishment from a credit card but no courts were involved is that company able to freeze my bank account or take my income tax. The debt was sold to a collection agency
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 14, 2010, 07:45 PM

You can't have a garnishment without a court order.
    albany22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 07:51 PM

Oh, OK well can a Sears Card debt take income tax or freeze bank account
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 07:56 PM

Yes they may after they sue you in court, get a judgement, once they have a judgement, they may get a garnishment according to the laws of your state.

So if your location allows garnishments, yes they may take the money from you bank, and get your income tax.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2010, 12:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by albany22 View Post
    Oh, ok well can a Sears Card debt take income tax or freeze bank account
    A debt can't do anything. But the owners of that debt can sue you for defaulting on the card, obtain a judgment and use that judgment to garnish your wages, attach your bank accounts or other assets. What they can do with the judgment depends on your area. They can attach your return, but that is less likely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a credit card company freeze my bank account? (In California) [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have a credit card that is overdue but has not gone to a collection agency and has not become a judgement (yet) and this credit card company has recently merged with my bank. I did not receive any notices, but they have frozen my bank account and have charged me a processing fee of...

Debt garnishment from bank account [ 2 Answers ]

If I have a judgement against me in the State of Texas, the creditor is not allowed to garnish my wages, but they ARE allowed to garnish my bank account. This much I am clear on. What I need to know is if the bank account is only in my wife's name and her name is not on the judghement, can they...

Garnishment of joint checking account for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Mississippi. My husband had a judgement against him by Discover Card. In January, 2007, they took $547.05 from out joint account. (The money is still in there today, just showing unavailable.) I opened my own account in just my name with payment on demand to my husband. They won't let...

View more questions Search