Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joggle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2004, 03:14 AM
    Basketball & Height
    I am taking part in an investigation trying to find if there is a reltionship between the height of a basketball player and the number of shots scored from a jump shot and a lay-up shot.? Please could any one give me any information or advice on this. Thank You
    Jo ;)
    Jahiem28 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Jul 22, 2004, 07:24 PM
    Re: Basketball & Height
    Hello there Height has nothing to do with someone making more shots. It has to do with your technique and skill level. Shoot umm up!!
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Dec 28, 2004, 06:43 PM
    A very special question
    Let me address your question and then offer my years of experience and advice.

I will restate your question so that you will know how I understand it: You want to conduct a study to define the relationship between player height and jump-shot and lay-up goal percentage.

What would that prove? Nothing, unless the study addressed the arguable differences and perceived advantages/disadvantages of height on shooting. First of all, measuring uncontested shots will only prove the affect of proper technique and practice on "made-shot" percentage. Therefore, that is only a good place to begin... A sort of baseline.

Then you must probe the question more deeply. Gather large enough groups of players with very similar shot-making percentages and have them attempt the same shots under pressure, such as, time constraints and the same person gaurding each shooter. Furthermore, you can employ players of varying skills to guard the shooters. Measure and record the results. Summarize the results and draw your conclusions, but take this advice:

Measure and record all the possibilities. Let the study go where it naturally moves. The results may surprise you, but do not force the data to say what you believe. Let the data influence your opinion, not the other way around.

You may not agree with the results, but they will be factual.

Good luck,

Oldcoach

Jan 27, 2005, 11:22 PM
    HI Height truly has nothing to do with amount of shots made or missed. It has to do with a person skill level.

Jan 28, 2005, 09:38 PM
    Numbers... It's in the numbers...
    No matter how expert a person is, their opinion is still one opinion until it is proven repeatable by experimentation. So, I say again in another way. Design a statistically/ sciantifically correct experiment. Measure and document the outcomes properly, and report the conclusions honestly and completely. Then and only then will your opinion be acceptable scientifically.

All scientific facts start as opinion or theory until someone demonstrates ,through experimentation, that the theory is factual.

My theory is that height has nothing to do with the percentage of uncontested shots you can make, but among players of equal skill and otherwise equal attributes except for their height, the taller person will prevail.

Prove me wrong with good statistical data and I'll eat my words.

What's wrong with that picture? No two people are exactly equal, except for their height. In most cases you can offset a height disadvantage with strength, skill, experience, quickness, and anticipation.

Oldcoach
    crisscross Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2005, 01:07 AM
    Hey everybody,
    By watching tall players I have found that the really big guys find it really hard to do a simple lay-up but when it comes to shooting from the free throw line they hit almost every one. This may be because of the skill level of the players though.

Apr 9, 2005, 10:46 PM
    Skill level
    It all come down to skill level tall or short.

Apr 10, 2005, 09:53 AM
    Perspectivity--Objectivity--Deminishing Returns
    I 've stated my thoughts on proving a theory by experimentation. There is no more to say.
    There are those that believe this: If you say something often enough and loud enough, people will take it as fact. True higher-thinkers require verification.

There are those that stubornly cling to a falicious idea either because they fear change, they haven't the capacity to understand the truth, or their pride controls them.

In any case, there comes a point where the cost of helping them exceeds the resources available. The returns on this discussion have diminished far enough.

Good luck to the original inquirer... You are welcome to inquire further. Farewell to the others. I prefer to spend my time helping those who want it.

Oldcoach

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basketball & Height [ 3 Answers ]

Do you think by playing basketball person can get taller?:confused:

Better basketball [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone Has The Better Basketball Videos Better Shooting Better Ball Handling Better Post Play Better One On One Defense Better Passing Or The "swish" Video For Shooting Method... If Anyone Has Them Give Me Your Email Please Or Tell Me Where You Got Them Thankx

Basketball [ 1 Answers ]

On a basketball court, what is the radius (in feet) of the arc (semi-circle) that extends from the foul line away from the basket to complete the key?

Basketball [ 1 Answers ]

Do you know the physiologial requirement of basketball? If you do please tell me. It is urgent.

Basketball [ 2 Answers ]

Am I going to make it in life to a high level of sportmanship Tell me please I'm already doing a great job I just want to Know if something might go wrong in my life journey ;D

View more questions Search