Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 24, 2006, 08:38 PM
    Why is Lowe's selling S traps
    The subject pretty much sums up my question, if they are illegal, why are they being sold in Lowe's. Im not doubting anyone's word here, Im just curious.

I saw 1 1/2" and 1 1/4" OD lavratory S traps in Lowe's today while browsing around.

I also have S traps in my home. Ive thought about replacing them with vented P traps this spring, but Im not really having a problem with my plumbing, should I apply a "if it aint broke, dont fix it" attitude to this?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2006, 08:45 PM
    It is not against the law to sell S-traps, it is just illegal to use them in certain locations. They work, the only problem with them is that it is easy for a string or a bunch of hair to siphon the traps by the osmosis system.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 24, 2006, 08:51 PM
    Oh I understand why they can be a problem. I wasn't doubting that, I just figured you wouldn't see them sold if they were illegal.

I mean, to be honest, before I started reading into this a while back, Ive installed them.
    Ive never lived in a house that wasn't at least 50 years old. Its just customary to see S traps running into the floor. And in my old house, when I had an old metal S trap under the sink start leaking, I replaced it with a new PVC S trap. Never knew they were illegal, of course that was a while back.

Of course, when you don't know any better, and you have a leaking S trap, walk into your local hardware store, and see new PVC S traps for sale, your not thinking about code, your just wanting to get your sink fixed.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2006, 09:58 PM
    Why can you still buy 2 prong outlets too?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 25, 2006, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcocke
    The subject pretty much sums up my question, if they are illegal, why are they being sold in Lowes. Im not doubting anyones word here, Im just curious.

I saw 1 1/2" and 1 1/4" OD lavratory S traps in Lowes today while browsing around.

I also have S traps in my home. Ive thought about replacing them with vented P traps this spring, but Im not really having a problem with my plumbing, should I apply a "if it aint broke, dont fix it" attitude to this?
    Let me start with Chapter seven, Section 703.5(b) titled, Prohibited Traps of the Standard Plumbing Code that states, "Full "S" traps are prohibited."
    Every plumbing code in the United States and Canada has outlawed them.
    While it's not illegal to sell them it is illegal to install them in new construction,(go figure!)
    They are sold in stores for replacement in older homes, such as yours.
    While some plumbers , and most inspectors, would disagree with me I'm with you.
    Why go to the expense and hassle of tearing up your house to vent a system that's been working for years.
    The reason they were outlawed in the first place is that it's possible that the suction developed by draining water could possibly lower water in the trap to the point of letting sewer gas escape, or as Letmetellu has posted," that it is possible for a string or a bunch of hair to siphon the traps by the osmosis system". The operative word in all this is "possible". If there's the remotest chance of anything wrong happening the code framers address it. Which is why you see backflow preventers being installed out next to water meters. Hope this answers your questions. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lowe's (MTD) 16/42 Drive Belt [ 3 Answers ]

My father gave me Lowe's 1642 riding mower but the drive belt keeps coming off. I have put a new idler pulley on and it still does this. I took the middle cover off and watched the clutch pulley when I was mowing and the belt seems to get too much slack in it and thrown off. Are there any belt...

S traps [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Minnesota and am trying to find when S traps were determined to be "illegal". Also, what is the problem with them? Thank you very much for this forum!

''S'' Traps [ 2 Answers ]

Tom, if you hadn't educated me on vents and traps, I might never notice a bunch of stuff. Recently I spent 2 days in the basement of the dog guide school kennel in a training session. Largely unfinished, likely never intended to have 75 dogs and their people there all day for training. At one...

Heat traps vs check valves [ 4 Answers ]

I have installed a check valve on the cold water inlet side of my water heater (it's a Voyager 100,000 BTU, combi heater-domestic and radiant heat). I am getting convective heat tranfer in the cold water line. I'm assuming the check valve (spring type) is not designed to prevent heat transfer. Are...

Is having 2 traps OK? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have moved my washer and dryer and added a sink for a 1/2 bath in that spot. The washer had an existing trap in the wall. It would be a real pain to cut it out because it is galvanized pipe and because of were the trap is located. Would it be OK to leave the existing trap in the...

View more questions Search