Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake448 Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

Feb 13, 2010, 09:07 PM
    Are plastic tea bags bad for health?
    So, it appears all the "premium" teas are starting to come in plastic tea bags. In fact, at starbucks that is the only way to get a cup of tea. Seems like putting a plastic tea bag in boiling water is a horrible idea to me, but I am not a scientist. So I wanted to get some more professional opinion. I realize not all plastics melt at this temperature, but as far as I thought it starts to release hazardous chemicals at high and low temperatures.
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 13, 2010, 10:13 PM

Unless a tea bag is stapled together, it already contains plastic, as it has been heated for the bag to stay together. There are tons of complaints to Lipton about the nylon not being biodegradable. They seem to be moving backwards in their care of the environment, not to mention the fact, that, yes, burned plastic is toxic because of the hydrogen cyanide!

They are hypocrites claiming that they can be recycled, but I would ask how many people are really going to rinse the teabag out and recycle it after using it. On their website, they claim to save plenty from environmental waste. In reality, the machine to make the nylon tea bag is cheaper.

The toxicity to your body by being heated, is highly debated. It is safer and better tasting just to use loose leaves in a teapot.
    cazort Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2010, 12:30 PM
    I think this is not fully known. Personally, I'm skeptical because the companies selling these products are certainly not funding the research to make them safer. But it's also probably not going to be the most hazardous thing you're exposed to in your daily life, and in the big scheme of things, it's probably not worth worrying about. Is your drinking water contaminant free? Do you breathe in car exhaust and air pollution outdoors? Are you exposed to the UV radiation from the sun?

The point is, your body is bombarded with a bunch of nasty stuff every day, and you're still living and breathing just fine... it's probably not worth worrying about.

I personally think it's best to drink loose tea for a variety of reasons, and this is what I'd recommend. But I mainly do it for flavor and quality, and sustainability, not because I'm afraid of contamination with weird chemicals.

Apr 17, 2011, 11:00 AM
    Thank you very much for the responses, I realize that our bodies are exposed to other chemicals on daily basis, but that is something we cannot really control. On the other hand, the kind of tea we drink is something within grasp and I'd rather know that I am doing something good for my body when drinking tea, rather than thinking that I am putting more chemicals into it (just a mental thing perhaps). I hope that there is some kind of regulation that is being enforced upon tea manufacturers who use these plastics to insure safety. Agreeably, loose leaf tea is much better anyway, just wish it was available in stores without having to go to a specialty shop. Thanks again.
    cazort Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2011, 02:17 PM
    As an update, I actually have researched this topic a bit more, and put together an article specifically about nylon tea bags. I don't know about other synthetic tea bag materials, but you may find this useful. I think most synthetic tea bags are nylon. I found basically the same thing that I found in my initial response, however, although now I have a couple sources on the topic.

The main concern I found is not so much about health, but environmental impact: nylon tea bags are not biodegradable, unlike paper or silk tea bags.

Jun 3, 2012, 10:08 AM
    Thank you for the article, summarizes the topic very well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are games good to health or bad for health [ 12 Answers ]

I always play games but my family says it bad for me but I ignore them

Bad health [ 1 Answers ]

I've just been told by the doctor I could have fibromyalgia as I have all the symptoms. Have had heaps of tests over the last 12 months and this is the only conclusion he has reached. The doctor said there is nothing that can be done but there must be something out there that will help as...

Is it a Leaking shower PIPE? Or bad plastic pipes bursting? [ 5 Answers ]

We bought a 15 year old house with 3.5 bathrooms. Every last bathroom has water leak issues to some degree. Either the toilets barely flush and you need to hold the handle down forever, or the faucets drip beneath the cabinets. One bathtub drips out of it's spout. But the worst of all is the...

6 cent tax on plastic bags? [ 18 Answers ]

Mayor Blumbugger is discussing a 6 cent tax on plastic bags,you know the ones,, the groceries are in them every week... What's next,A new tax on snowflakes?

Tea bags can cure sick building syndrome [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of or read this report: "Tea bags can cure sick building syndrome. People who move intoa new house can suffer nausea and sore throats due to the chemicals from fresh paint and glue. One of the chielf culprits is formaldehyde. Now the Tokyo Metropolitan Consumer Center has found...

View more questions Search