Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shercharb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2010, 07:59 PM
    Green card no fault divorce citizenship
    My husband has asked me for a divorce a few days ago. He is a US citizen, I am a green card holder. I have lived in the State of Pennsylvania since July 2007. We are not fighting, and we want to make this as simple as possible. His parents are actually my sponsors, since my husband couldn't financially support me. I am the main bread winner of the relationship since 2007, but keep in mind that I am the green card holder and that he is the US citizen. His parents are VERY VERY wealthy. What are MY responsibilities? Am I in any danger of losing my green card? Is there any chance that I will owe spousal alimony? What kind of divorce should we file for (mutual consent, etc.. )? I want to make this painful event in my life be less complicated and quick.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 11:06 PM

If your green card is valid for 10 years, divorce will not jeopardize your status.

About the divorce in PA... The divorce grounds are as follows:

No-Fault:
    Mutual consent. Marriage is irretrievably broken and 90 days have elapsed from the date of commencement of an action; or
    Irretrievable breakdown. Living separate and apart for a period of at least two years and that the marriage is irretrievably broken.

Fault:
    1. Willful and malicious desertion for the period of one or more years.
    2. Adultery.
    3. Cruel and barbarous treatment.
    4. Knowingly entered into a bigamous marriage while a former marriage is still subsisting.
    5. Imprisonment for a term of two or more years.
    6. Offered such indignities to the innocent and injured spouse as to render that spouse's condition intolerable and life burdensome.
    (Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes - Title 23 - Sections: 3301)

You should consult divorce attorney in your area.. this is state law.
    shercharb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 12:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    If your greencard is valid for 10 years, divorce will not jeopardize your status.

About the divorce in PA... The divorce grounds are as follows:

No-Fault:
    Mutual consent. Marriage is irretrievably broken and 90 days have elapsed from the date of commencement of an action; or
    Irretrievable breakdown. Living separate and apart for a period of at least two years and that the marriage is irretrievably broken.

Fault:
    1. Willful and malicious desertion for the period of one or more years.
    2. Adultery.
    3. Cruel and barbarous treatment.
    4. Knowingly entered into a bigamous marriage while a former marriage is still subsisting.
    5. Imprisonment for a term of two or more years.
    6. Offered such indignities to the innocent and injured spouse as to render that spouse's condition intolerable and life burdensome.
    (Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes - Title 23 - Sections: 3301)

You should consult divorce attorney in your area.. this is state law.
    ---------------------
    Thank you for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce after green card before citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen who has been married to for 8 years. My husband has his green card. I've discovered he has been cheating on me. He has not become a US citizen yet. How will all this pan out should we divorce? I would like to know what my rights are. Will he be able to obtain equitable...

Green card holder with canadian citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I am 20 year old university student here in canada currently. Last year in may me and my family, we got our green card. My family moved in September but I wasn't able to move with them due to school problem. I wasn't able to transfer to a university there as its very difficult. So I have been...

How long after green card should I apply for citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my green card for 3 1/2 years now ,can I apply now for citizenship.

Citizenship or Green card by deposit amount of Moneny in a bank? [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Sir: I would like to take any citizenship around the world by deposit specific amount of money in a bank account. Can you help me? With kind regards Khaled salem

View more questions Search