Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maw685 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 06:29 PM
    Carotid Artery Surgery
    My friend had surgery for Carotid Artery 3 weeks ago and it is ozing water from the incision almost constantly. He has to use a wash cloth to keep his shirt dry. He was told this was normal. Is it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 24, 2006, 06:34 PM
    Is the fluid clear? Is there any fever? When was his last visit to the doctor?
    maw685 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 01:38 PM
    Yes the liquid is clear. I saw my doctor last when he removed the clamps. He said this was normal but other people have said no. Help
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 25, 2006, 01:43 PM
    If the fluid is clear that means that there is no infection. The fluid is called interstitial fluid and can be quite normal with surgeries. The surgery was 3 weeks ago. Did your friend have drainage tubes in place (JP drains)? If so that drained off the majority of the fluid and the doc may have removed the drains a little early.

As long as the fluid is clear and there is no pain, fever, or inflammation it should be okay. Understand though that I am only giving an opinion since it is impossible for me to do a face-to-face physical. Make sure your friend keeps up with his/her doctor to make sure everything is okay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fusion surgery [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,I suffer from degenerative disc disease and am contemplating fusion surgery (L3-4,L4-5)and would like to hear anyone's success/failure stories.Thx.

Plastic surgery [ 2 Answers ]

I have been doing a lot of research on plastic sergery in Brazil. The dr. I have been talking to seems really great but I don't know him and Brazil is a long ways from the U.S.A. I have seen his before and after pictures and they look amazing and I have done a lot of work in losing 140 lbs and I...

Surgery on my doxie [ 2 Answers ]

It's me again, I took my dog (1-1/2 year old mini doxie) to the vet because of vomiting, dehydration, not eating or drinking. That was 2-1/2 weeks ago and I'm still dealing with issues. She's eating and drinking without vomiting. She's very lathargic and she's very nasil. When she breathes it...

Vanginal surgery [ 1 Answers ]

:-[ I have had four children and um I no longer enjoy sex as much. Can anything be done to get the vagina back to a more pre-birth state?

View more questions Search