Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    petermahairas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2010, 03:14 PM
    Setting up ads modem IP passthrough to router
    I need to get remote desktop working again, we had a lightnig/power surge and damaged our netgear adsl mode/router. We have replaced it with a similar unit all works OK as in network and internet functions but the remote desk top function keeps giving me errors I am asuming it is the ADSL modum had some firewall seting allowing remote desktop to work dose anyone now what to do.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 10:22 PM
    The Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) uses TCP/IP port 3389 by default. If your router is configured for NAT (network address translation) with a private IP subnet used for the local LAN (a very common configuration), this port will need to be forwarded to the local IP addresses you desire to control remotely. Note that this is a severe security risk if the source IP range is not limited to only the machines you wish to remote in from. This port will also need to be allowed by any local firewalls (Windows) on the machines, but your power outage should not have affected their existing configuration. RDP can also use UDP for sound, but since those packets would be headed out of your local network, specific configuration for these on the router normally isn't needed. See your router documentation or post the exact model for info on configuring port forwarding.

Tip: Powering the networking equipment with an uninterruptible power supply with surge suppression can thwart downtime like this. Surge suppressors for the Ethernet cabling itself are also available. A properly grounded equipment rack or ground lug is required for both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How far the router should be from modem [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to run network cat6 cables in my house. I want to install the router on the second floor and my modem is on in the basement. The WAN cable from modem to router will be about 100 feet. Would this cause any problem? Will the long cable effect the speed download or upload speed. Thanks

Modem router [ 5 Answers ]

Do I need 2 set up modem router on laptop as well as main computer to establish network connection? I want 2 use my laptop wireless connection but main computer is ethernet linked to router

Wireless Router Into Modem [ 2 Answers ]

I searched around, but didn't find anything exactly like this: I have a Thompson DSL modem, but it has a router built into it (4 port - yes, the router and modem are all-in-one). I need wireless in my office, so I have a Network Everywhere (Linksys) 4 port wireless router, but I can't get it to...

Broadband Modem & Modem with Router (DSL-2640B) [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm connecting broadband using D-Link ADSL broadband Modem, the connected computer will connect to Internet after verifying username and password. If I'll replace that modem with D-Link DSL-2640B (A broadband ADSL Modem WiFi router) then will this router can connect to Internet automaticall...

View more questions Search