Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    legarrec Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 05:37 PM
    Alternatives to electric heat?
    I am house searching and I've found the perfect property.
    *But* there is electric heat.
    I am in Massachusetts, and our heating season is just much too long to go through several months on electric heat($$)
    I was wondering... what do I do?
    I am interested in a corn stove, but I worry if we ever have a storm here, I'll have no source of heat if the electricity goes out. (I worry about this with just plain electric, obviously, but worry to put 5k into another electric heating possibility when maybe I could have spent a few thousand more for gas?)
    What are my options?
    I have a bit of money to throw down on this. I would go for geothermal heat pump in a heartbeat if I didn't live in the city.. My backyard is like 12x12.
    Do the ductwork for natural gas? How much is this?

What could I do to supplement the electric heat even?
    Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do?
    Those not familiar with Boston, it can get to negative 10 or so here. It is brutal.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2006, 05:59 PM
    There is many options, you have some wonderful gas heaters, gas heater inserts for fire places, and the such, There are back up generators to run the electric heat, and more.

What type of electri heat do you have ? Do you have central with ductwork,

How big a house, I have a gas unit that does not require a flue, that does 1000 sq feet OK, ( so I close off a couple bedrooms)

I used to have portable propane heaters I couild bring in, with a generator for the lights and fridge.
    legarrec Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    There is many options, you have some wonderful gas heaters, gas heater inserts for fire places, and the such, There are back up generators to run the electric heat, and more.

What type of electri heat do you have ? do you have central with ductwork, ?

How big a house, I have a gas unit that does not require a flue, that does 1000 sq feet ok, ( so I close off a couple bedrooms)

I used to have portable propane heaters I couild bring in, with a generator for the lights and fridge.
    Hi,
    I have no chimney or fireplace... The heat is electric baseboard, so no ductwork.
    The house is 3 floors, 5 bedrooms 2.5 ba and a bit over 1900 sq ft.

I don't want to settle for having to close off rooms. I want a successful heating system. I have 2 kids so at least 3 bedrooms would need to be used, which are in various floors of the house.
    Thanks though :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2006, 06:20 PM
    As a option, I think I would price a back up generator large enough to operate your system. You would have to have someone add up all amps you are pulling. I am not sure it would be in your budget, but it kicks in when the power goes out, normally works off or natural gas or propane, you would not have to run ductwork ( hard to do in a 3 story house) and also helps the entire house in storms and more
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2006, 09:00 PM
    There is a pellet stove that my Brother-in-law uses in Idaho... burns compressed saw dust and chips, very cheap to operate. You might check it out.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 24, 2006, 09:26 PM
    Not too much I can add I guess, beyond my sympathies. :) Electric heat in Boston? Ouch. I'm a MA native myself, now living in north-eastern CT. I think it might be worth your while converting to gas. What about solar panels? At the very least, they might be beneficial in heating water.
    Good luck. Take care. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2006, 09:55 PM
    Most properties for sell have recent year's utility bills available. Look at them. The only question about different heating types is which one is going up the worst. None of them will heat a whole house without electricity. Figure $1000 for a back up generator once you connect it in, see https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...tch-38571.html

Adding any forced air system to a existing house is a major mess. Even replacing your baseboards with a hot water system would be a mess. I think you need to look at the actual costs to heat the home, and how well if fit your needs and either decide you can live with the existing heat, or look for another house.
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Nov 29, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Have you considered a non-geothermal heat pump?

I live in NE Wyoming where it gets subzero often, but spends a lot more time in the >30° at which the heat pump is useful. We use propane as a backup for cold days and nights, but the heat pump is the primary source. I think it has cut our energy use substantially.

You still have the issue of installing a forced-air system, but I think if you are going that route with gas the heat pump is worth considering.

My $0.02-worth
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Nov 30, 2006, 08:29 AM
    I live in the Boston area and agree that you should look at the utility bills. You also need to consider how the previous occupants used the house. If they were a working couple who kept it cool, their bills would probably be a lot lower than your's would be with the children.

We have electric in a 1500 sq ft duplex in the New Hampshire mountains. I love it. It's clean and reliable and the bills are not too high, BUT we use it only about half the weekends in the winter. If it were a full time residence, we'd have converted long ago.

I would suggest a very high efficiency gas furnace in the basement. This can be vented through the wall, sparing the need for a chimney. At a minimum, you could then install air ducts for the lower floor without difficulty. Heat rises and this would reduce the electric draw upstairs. It is probably possible to run at least one duct upstairs through a closet area to hheat several rooms. A second furnace could also be installed in an upstairs crawl space. You could continue to use electric in areas that can't be easily reached by ductwork. This approach should cut you overall bills substantially.

PS - It might also be possible to use the small high pressure ducts designed for air conditioning in older homes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Heat-Pump-No heat [ 2 Answers ]

I had a wall-mounted unit installed in a room in may of this summer. In the middle of the night the heat shut off and has not come back on since. It is an Amana, electric heat with heat pump unit. The cooling works, the heating setting does not blow air at all. When I remove the cover it says...

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Electric heat [ 6 Answers ]

I recently moved to a home with electric heat. I am not familiar with it. Is the air from the registers suppose to be more cool than warm, it is not cold but cool Debbi

Electric Baseboard Heat ?'s [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, I have electric baseboard heat in our home, and each room is controlled separately. And this may sound dumb... do I need to have the heat set at a certain minimum temperature for the winter? (we live in MN) Also, is it more cost efficient for me keep them in each room on at a...

Baseboard electric heat [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands/style of baseboard heaters? Have looked at hydrosil, they claim to be efficient but are higher priced units. Are the fluid/gel filled units that much more efficient than the cheaper units? Thanks

View more questions Search