Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Feb 13, 2010, 01:19 PM
    1992 honda accord tach/speedometer drop to 0
    They are doping to 0 and going back up to the proper place(couple times a second). Only seems to happen when I'm doing over 40. Also it was very rainy that day(incase weather was an issue). I have already checked my grounds they are very secure, I'm thinking it may be the cluster going, if so how else can I tell/is it an issue that will prevent the car from running.

Thanks in advance
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2010, 02:31 PM

Replace the Ignition Control Module:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

This link should give you some perspective on your problem:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post260436

Feb 13, 2010, 02:43 PM

ICM tests good. Any other thoughts mate?
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2010, 02:45 PM

Testing ICMs and coils is virtually useless.

Feb 15, 2010, 06:09 AM

OK new problems: battery light came on while driving, tach and speed droped to 0 and stayed their, car started backfiring really badly/no response from gas pedal. I pulled off the road and cut the engine off. Tried restarting couldn't get it to turn over. Gave it about 10 min and it did turn over and restart. Drove to a close by relatives(couple miles) with no issues other than the battery light coming on and off a few times.

Feb 15, 2010, 06:51 AM

OK so just tested it with hood up, no smoke coming out where it shouldn't be it idled fine at 1k rpms let it run for 3-4 minutes that way. As soon as I reved the engine RPMs droped to 0 and backfiring started

Feb 15, 2010, 08:07 AM

OK with some additional testing I ran the car and took pos cable off battery and the car instantly died. So alternator should be problem, still wondering if a loose ground can cause the car to die in same situation.
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2010, 08:26 AM

You never want to remove the positive battery cable, while the engine is running, on a modern-day car. That went out with cars in the 1970s. There's a risk that it will instantly destroy your ECM, alternator, and sensors. Instead, perform the safe and simple regulated battery test in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1973613

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 honda accord EX tach/wont start issue [ 22 Answers ]

I have a 1993 honda accord EX(automatic). I first noticed the issue while doing 70 mph at 2800 RPM's on the interstate. All of a sudden my tach jumped all over(mostly up to ranges of 5-6k RPMS) yet my engine did not rev with it(in other words engine pitch stayed the same). I got off at the next...

93 Honda Accord Speedometer [ 1 Answers ]

My odometer and trip meter stopped working the other day, but the speedometer still works. Any insight on this? Is this an electronic unit? Car has been shifting different lately in that I have to back off on the gas pedal for it to shift or the RPMs are high. Any help on this is appreciated....

I have a 1992 honda accord and would like to put a 1996 honda accord engine and trans [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 1992 honda accord and would like to put a 1996 honda accord engine and trans in it. Would it be possibly.

1990 honda accord stutters, tach goes crazy, battery light blinks [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1990 accord EX automatic with 155,000 miles. While driving on the freeway, very intermittently all of the following happen. The tachometer bounces between 2,000 and 3,500 RPM (while cruising, it should be about 2900). Although the engine is obviously not fluctuating like this, at the...

'92 Honda Accord speedometer problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is Richard, I have a '92 Honda Accord LX that has a problematic speedometer. I've swapped out the vss unit and replaced the gauge for the speedometer. I've checked for loose wires and found nothing. Sometimes the thing works, then all of the sudden it says I'm going zero miles per...

View more questions Search